Lao National Museum
The Lao National Museum is located in Vientiane, Laos. It was founded as the national museum highlighting the revolution of the 1970's and is located in a French colonial building. The United States donated in 2007 a grant to help develop the museum.
The Royal Palace (official name "Haw Kham") in Luang Prabang, Laos was built in 1904 during the French colonial era for King Sisavang Vong and his family. The site for the palace was chosen so that official visitors to Luang Prabang could disembark from their river voyages directly below the palace and be received there. After the death of King Sisavang Vong, the crown Prince Savang Vatthana and his family were the last to occupy the grounds. In 1975, the monarchy was overthrown by the communists and the Royal Family were taken to re-education camps.
Champasak Provincial Museum
Established on 2 December 1995 and now located alongside the Champassak Provincial Library, this two-storey museum contains extensive collections of archaeological, historical and ethnological artefacts from the region. Highlights of the lower floor include displays of ethnological artifacts (farming implements, traditional costumes, musical instruments, pottery and bronze drums and gongs) and lintels and statues removed from various Khmer temple sites in Champassak, Sukuma and Mounlapamok Districts.
Lao Textile Museum
Inside the museum there are more than 1,000 ancient silk fabrics from all ethnic groups in Laos. These include many ancient silk fabrics from the Taideng tribe from Houaphan province and the Taiphouan group of Xieng Khuang.