Fort Jesus is a Portuguese fort built in 1593 by order of King Philip II of Spain, then ruler of the joint Portuguese and Spanish Kingdoms, located on Mombasa Island to guard the Old Port of Mombasa, Kenya. It was built in the shape of a man (viewed from the air), and was given the name of Jesus, after Shaikh Isa Bin Tarif Al Bin Ali Al Utbi conquered the fort in 1837 after being asked for assistance by Sayyid Saeed Bin Sultan Imam of Muscat.
Nairobi Railway Museum
The Nairobi Railway Museum contains exhibits for the three railways constituting the defunct East African Railways. It is located next to the Nairobi railway station near the city centre. It was opened in 1971 by East African Railways and Harbours Corporation. It was later operated by Kenya Railways. Following the privatisation of Kenya Railways, the museum is now operated by National Museums of Kenya.
Ruins of Gedi
The Ruins of Gedi are the remains of a Swahili town located in Gede, a village near the coastal town of Malindi in Kenya. From 13th/14th to 17th centuries Gedi was a thriving community along the jungle coast of East Africa. Although no written record exists of this town, excavations between 1948 and 1958 revealed that the Muslim inhabitants traded with people from all over the world.
Nairobi National Museum
The museum was officially opened in 1930, as Coryndon Museum, with Dr. van Someren, a member, as curator. The Coryndon Museum was renamed "National Museum" in 1964 and was included in a new system, the "National Museums of Kenya." In 1967, Richard Leakey, was having irreconcilable differences with Louis Leakey, his employer in the Centre, and decided to improve the National Museum. His main objection was that it had not been Kenyanized. He and supporters formed the Kenya Museum Associates, which obtained an observer's seat for Richard on the board from Carcasson in exchange for a 5000-pound contribution. Richard did not do much observing, as he departed for the first Omo expedition.
Karen Blixen Museum
The Karen Blixen Museum in Africa is near Nairobi, Kenya, and was her home "Mbogani" between 1917 and 1931, at that time in the middle of a large coffee plantation of about 5000 acres. It was donated by the Danish government and opened in 1986, following the popularity of the 1985 movie, Out of Africa (film). Nowadays the museum is situated in the suburb "Karen" and you hardly find coffee there, but rich houses and a lot of horses.
Koobi Fora refers primarily to a region around Koobi Fora Ridge, located on the eastern shore of Lake Turkana in the territory of the nomadic Gabbra tribe. According to the National Museums of Kenya, the name comes from the Gabbra language: "In the language of the Gabbra people who live near the site, the term Koobi Fora means a place of the commiphora and the source of myrrh...."
Gede ruins are the remains of a Swahili town, typical of most towns along the East African Coast. It traces its origin in the twelfth century but was rebuilt with new town walls in the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries. This rebuilding is connected with the emigration of many citizens of Kilwa to Mombasa, Malindi and other places along the coast.
Archaeological research shows that the hill has been a seasonal settlement for prehistoric people for at least 3,000 years, as revealed by the numerous sites around the hill, that belong to different time periods. The earliest finds date to the Neolithic period. There is evidence in the form of beach sands that a Lake once extended probably as fresh water right to the base of the hill; turning the hill into a peninsular or even an island.
Lamu Museums are located in the Lamu Archipelago on the N. Coast, one of the most beatiful & serene locations on the African continent and a World Heritage Site. The isolated island, with streets so narrow such that donkeys provide almost the only mode of transport makes the town quite unique.
This unique desert Museum is beautifully situated on top of a hill overlooking the expansive Lake Turkana. It is one of the latest Museums within the fold of the National Museums of Kenya. The Museum focuses on the lives of 8 communities living in that area and on the natural environment in that harsh part of the country.
Kabarnet museum opened its doors to the public in 1996 in the former District Commissioner Residence. It has four main public galleries featuring the Rift Valley people, their culture, its environment, indigenous knowledge and science for education.
The Kapenguria museum was opened in 1993. It is located in Kapenguria town, at the site where the six most influential leaders in the struggle for independence were detained. To preserve the history of the struggle for independence, the National Museums of Kenya with financial support from the Dutch funded Arid and Semi-Arid Lands project in West Pokot preserved and rehabilitated the prison.
Kariandusi is one of the first discovered Lower Paleolithic sites in East Africa. There is enough geological evidence to that at times in the past; large lakes, sometimes reaching levels hundreds of meters higher than the Present Lake Nakuru and Elementaita have occupied the basin.
Kisumu Museum is located in Kisumu town along the Kisumu - Kericho highway. It was opened to the public in 1980.The museum stores and disseminates information on cultural and scientific issues with emphasis on Western Kenya. Exhibits include cultural history. The museum provides educational services to schools in its neighbourhood.
The museum was the first of the Inland museums to be developed in Kenya. It used to be known by the name the Stoneham Museum. It got its name from an amateur naturalist who lived in Kitale, by the name Lieutenant colonel Hugh Stoneham.
The building was bought from the Bohra community for 2,000 English Pounds after a longer period of occupation by the Medical Department who had used the building to serve as the Malindi Native Civil Hospital. The exact date of construction is not known but when Thomas Alfree was buying the property from the Bohra community, as discussed in his undated autobiography, even the oldest Bohra who was then more than ninety years old could not remember when it was built.
The creation and further the establishment of Meru museum as one of the regional museums of the National Museums of Kenya was catapulted by a need to conserve the culture and traditional practices of the locals, the Meru speaking people.