The Museum of Egyptian Antiquities, known commonly as the Egyptian Museum, in Cairo, Egypt, is home to the most extensive collection of ancient Egyptian antiquities in the world. It has 120,000 items, with a representative amount on display, the remainder in storerooms and carparks.
The palace, located in the Old Cairo district of Abdeen is today a museum. The upper floors, (the former living quarters of the royal family), are reserved for visiting foreign dignitaries. The lower floors contain the Silver Museum, the Arms Museum, the Royal Family Museum, and the Presidential Gifts Museum. A new museum, the Historical Documents Museum was opened in January 2005. Among other documents, it contains the Imperial Ottoman Firman, or decree, which established the rule of Mohamed Ali and his family, and a certificate for the Order of the Iron Crown, from the short-lived South American Kingdom of Araucania and Patagonia.
The Gayer-Anderson Museum is located in Cairo, Egypt, adjacent to the Mosque of Ahmad ibn Tulun in the Sayyida Zeinab neighborhood. The museum takes its name from Major R.G. Gayer-Anderson Pasha, who resided in the house between 1935 and 1942 with special permission from the Egyptian Government. It is noted for being one of the best preserved examples of 17th century domestic architecture left in Cairo, and also for Gayer-Anderson's vast collection of furniture, carpets, curio, and other objects.
The Denshway Museum is a museum in Al-Minufiyah, Egypt, 100 kilometers north of Cairo. The museum, which opened in July 1999 commemorates the Denshawai Incident, Egyptian peasants who struggled against British colonialism in 1906, and honors the seven martyrs who were hanged on 26 June, 1906. In creating the museum, it was hoped to remind villagers of the history that helped to shape the region and also provide a cultural center which would increase tourism in the region.
The Coptic Museum is a museum in Coptic Cairo, Egypt with the largest collection of Egyptian Christian artifacts in the world. It was founded by Morcos Smeika Pasha in 1910 to house Coptic antiquities. The museum traces the history of Christianity in Egypt from its beginnings to the present day. It was erected over a land offered by the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria under the guardianship of Pope Cyril V.
The Graeco-Roman Museum of Alexandria in Egypt was created in 1892. It was first built in an 5-room apartment, inside one small building in Rosetta Street (later Avenue Canope and nowadays Horriya). In 1895, it was transferred to another building that only had eleven rooms. More rooms were added later to this building, now located near Gamal Abdul Nasser Street.
Luxor Museum is located in the Egyptian city of Luxor (ancient Thebes). It stands on the corniche, overlooking the River Nile, in the central part of the city. Inaugurated in 1975, the museum is housed in a small, purpose-built building. The range of artifacts on display is far more restricted than the country's main collections in the Museum of Antiquities in Cairo; this was, however, deliberate, since the museum prides itself on the quality of the pieces it has, the uncluttered way in which they are displayed, and the clear multilingual labelling used.
The International Museum of Nubia / The Nubian Museum is located in Aswan on an area of 50,000 square meters, 7000 of which are excluded to building, while the rest designed to be the yard of themuseum. The building has three floors for displaying and housing, in addition to a library and information center. The largest part of the museum is occupied by the monumental pieces, reflecting phases of the development of the Nubian culture and civilization.
Grand Egyptian Museum
The Grand Egyptian Museum (GEM) will be built by 2009–2010 at the cost of $US 350M. The museum will be sited on 50 hectares of land in Giza and is part of a new master plan for the plateau. On January 5, 2002 Egyptian President Mubarak laid the foundation stone. The museum site is two kilometers from the Giza pyramids. The building is designed by Heneghan Peng Architects, Buro Happold and Arup.
The Imhotep Museumis located at the foot of the Saqqara necropolis complex, near Memphis, in Egypt and was built as part of strategic site management. The Museum was opened on April 26, 2006, and displays finds from the site, in commemoration of the ancient Egyptian architect Imhotep. Prof. Zahi Hawass said: "I felt that we should call it the Imhotep Museum in tribute to the first architect to use stone rather than perishable materials for construction on a large scale. This man was second only to the King and in the late period was worshiped as a god."
The Mummification Museum is located in the Egyptian city of Luxor. It stands on the corniche, in front of the Mina Palace Hotel, to the north of Luxor Temple, overlooking the River Nile. The museum is intended to provide visitors with an understanding of the ancient art of mummification. The Ancient Egyptians applied embalming techniques to many species, not only to dead humans. Mummies of cats, fish and crocodiles are on display in this unique museum, where one can also get an idea of the tools used.
Museum of Islamic Art, Cairo
Although recognition of Pharonic art was signaled in Cairo by the establishment in 1858 of the Department of Antiquities and the Egyptian Museum, the appreciation of Arab and Islamic Art lagged behind. The Khedive Ismail approved a proposal to establish a Museum of Arab Art in the Courtyard of the Mosque of Baibars, but this was not carried out until 1880 when Khedive Tawfiq ordered the Ministry of Endowments to set it up.
Royal Jewelry Museum
The Royal Jewelry Museum in Alexandria, Egypt is located in the Zizenia neighborhood. It was once the palace of Fatma Al-Zahra' and is an architectural masterpiece. Its halls contain many rare paintings, statues and decorations. An inestimable collection of jewels of the Muhammad Ali Dynasty 19th century is also exhibited. The museum was inaugurated on October 24, 1986.
Egyptian Railway Museum
The Egyptian Railway Museum was founded in 1933 and chronicles the history and development of the ENR. It is located near the Ramses Station in Cairo.
Taha Hussein Museum
Dr.Taha Hussein (1889-1973) is the doyen of Arabic literature and one of the most celebrated figures of Egyptian contemporary cultural and intellectual history. In recognition of all Dr. Taha Hussein's achievements for Egypt the State bought his residence in the Pyramids district after his death and converted it into a museum carrying the name "Ramatan" which literally means in Arabic the two oases where traveling caravans stop to take rest. As Dr. Taha Hussein was keen on having his son Dr. Moeniss share his residence, he designed the villa with two entrances to preserve each one's privacy and freedom.
Ramses Wessa Wassef Art Center
This art center was first founded by the late Egyptian Architect and Educator Ramses Wessa Wassef in the early 1950s. He set out with a goal to prove his idea that any human being using his natural creativity is able to produce art when provided with suitable circumstances. Through this art establishment, Wessa Wassef began realizing his dream and offering people such opportunities.
Qasr Al-Eini Museum
The idea of founding the Qasr Al-Eini Museum was first initiated in 1976 by Dr. Mohammed Almenawi, the surgeon gynecologist and obstetrician who was general secretary of the Faculty of Medicine and responsible of the Museum. The first stage was inaugurated on March 8, 1998 in the presence of representatives of the world faculties of medicine; the second stage in March 1999 . The Museum was eventually established in the adequate form appropriate to the oldest Faculty of Medicine in the Orient
The National Museum has a variety of displays covering all of Egyptian history. The Museum, which was opened in Port Said in 1987 has exhibits on the 1st floor covering prehistory and the pharaonic period, including several mummies and sarcophagi along with various statues and other artifacts. On the next floor is Islamic and Coptic material, including textiles, manuscripts and coins, as well as artifacts from the Khedival family.
The Pharaonic Village - Jacob Island
At the Pharaonic Village, visitors sail on comfortable motorized barges down a network of canals and view incredibly accurate tableaux of the recreation of ancient Egyptian life. Though the city of Cairo surrounds the island, not a trace of it penetrates the thick wall of trees planted around the island. Sights include recreations of industries, games, arts, and moments from history and legend. Services such as cafeterias, boat rentals, a children's playground and a restaurant that serves both Egyptian and European dishes help to make your stay even more enjoyable.
The Police Museum is a huge building with small windows that were once probably used by archers. There is an Egyptian flag atop the gate, and the gate itself is ancient, decorated with simple old Islamic arabesque.
Mohamed Nagy Museum
Undoubtedly, Mohamed Nagy, the great artist, is one of the staunch artists who contributed much to laying down the foundations of the modern Egyptian photography art. He produced an array of terrific paintings some of which go back to 1907, as he was just a 19-year-old boy. He was the first Egyptian to study the academic art in the Italian capital of art, Florence. The most striking evidence to Nagy's unique style is that his paintings were displayed side by side with that of most renowned French artists in 1920.
The Mukhtar Museum was built to house the sculptures of Mahmud Mukhtar who is considered to be one of the greatest Egyptian sculptures. The building was designed by Ramesses Wissa Wassef and houses eighty-five bronze, stone, basalt, marble, granite and plaster works. One building contains a Planetarium, the Gezira Museum and the Museum of Egyptian Civilization. The Gezira Museum contains objects that were collected by the royal family.
The Military Museum, located in the Citadel, contains a collection of weapons and costumes illustrating warfare in Egypt from ancient times. Notable are its artifacts of the 1956 Anglo-French-Israeli attack.
The Marine Biology Museum in Hurghada
There is a Marine Museum a few miles north of Hurghada which is open from 8 am until 8 pm. It is a marine biology station and also contains a small aquarium.
Many artifacts found within the Fayoum region are housed in the Karanis Museum. Displays include delicate glassware and pottery, females heads (as found in Alexandria) which are thought to have been used to model hairstyles, and a Fayoum portrait. Many of the mummies found in this area had portrait of the deceased painted on them. The museum is well laid out, and has recently been renovated.
The Children’s Museum and its annexes lie in the forest park in Heliopolis, Cairo. The park covers an area of about 13.5 feddans of various plants and trees, which bear labels indicating their names and species so that the child can acquire knowledge of nature as he walks through it.
The Alexandria National Museum
The Alexandria National Museum has grown in importance these days, and is now considered one of Egypt's finest museums. It was inaugurated by President Hosni Mubarak on December 31st, 2003, and is one more addition to the reasons one should visit this grand old city. The national museum is located in a restored palace and contains about 1,800 artifacts that narrate the history of Alexandria throughout the ages, including the Pharaonic, Roman, Coptic and Islamic eras.
The Carriage Museum, within the Citadel, is housed in the building once used as the British Officers' Mess during the colonial period. It has a collection of eight carriages, including that of the Khedive Ismail used when he opened the Suez Canal in 1869 and a golden state carriage presented to the Khedive by Napoleon III. In fact, most of the carriages date from this period.
Ismailia Museum in Ismailia
The Ismailia is a small museum but has over 4,000 artifacts from pharaonic through the Greek and Roman era. It includes information on the first canal built by the Persian Darius between the Bitter lakes and Bubastis and a masterpiece mosaic of the 4th century illustrating classic characters from Greek mythology. Other items include statues, scarabs, stelae and such. The museum is open daily between 9 AM and 4 PM.
Egyptian Geological Museum
The Egyptian Geological Museum was established and opened for the public in 1904, as a part of the Egyptian Geological Survey (EGS) founded earlier in 1896. The museum introduces visitors to Egyptian geology and history. Mining and metallurgy started many thousands of years ago, in predynastic times.
Museum of Mohamed Khalil
Mohamed Mahmoud Khalil was one of the public figures who significantly affected the fine arts movement during the second quarter of the 20 th century. He was born in 1877 and died in 1953. In 1901, he went to France to study the Law at the Sorbone university. In 1903, he married Ms. Emiline Lock, who was studying music in Paris's Conservatory. She shared his interests in fine arts, especially painting.