The Salzburg Museum, located in the Neue Residenz building on Mozart Square features insights into Salzburg’s history, art and culture. Displays cover Salzburg’s development from the Bronze Age to a medieval town to the baroque city which has been designated as a World Heritage Site.
Museum of Fine Arts
The Museum of Fine Arts was built from 1872 to 1891 after designs by Gottfried Semper and Karl von Hasenauer. It ranks among the richest and most important art collections in the world.
The Museumsquartier is one of the ten largest cultural complexes in the world, where baroque buildings, new architecture, cultural institutions and various disciplines of art are united.
Technisches Museum Wien
With about 22.000 sqm of exhibition space Vienna's 'Technisches Museum' belongs to the city's big players and is a definite must for visitors interested in the technical issues.
Natural History Museum
Since the Baroque period the abbots had accumulated a collection of "curiosities" and scientific specimens of various sorts, which were entirely destroyed in the fire of 1865. As part of the reconstruction Father Gabriel Strobl determined to replace the lost collections, and so formed the nucleus of the modern museums. The Natural History museum now contains over 250,000 insect specimens, including one of the three largest collections of flies, or Diptera, in Europe.
The SKGLB-museum shows relics of the former Salzkammergut Lokalbahn (shorty SKGLB) that was a railway line in 760 mm track from Salzburg to Bad Ischl with a branch to Mondsee - a town located at the lake Mondsee.
Sigmund Freud Museum
Dr. Sigmund Freud, the founder of psychoanalysis, lived and worked in this house for almost half a century (1891 to 1938). His former office and private apartment are now, thanks to his daughter Anna, a museum. The museum owns the original furniture from his waiting room, nearly eighty pieces of Freud's collection of antiques and some of his personal belongings.
The “Kunsthistorische Museum” - the Museum of Fine Arts - contains important objects from the Romanesque to Baroque periods, glass paintings, panel paintings, sculptures, oil paintings and objects from the church treasury. Impressive and for the most part in large glass cases is the annually changing selection from the collection of liturgical cloth.
Dobl Transmitter Museum
Dobl Transmitter is a facility for medium wave broadcasting at Dobl, Steiermark, Austria, built in 1942. It uses as antenna a 156 metre (511 foot) high guyed mast of lattice steel, which is guyed in two levels at 113 metres (370 feet) and 73 metres (239 feet). Dobl Transmitter was shut down in 1984 and is now a technical museum.
The archaeological museum Carnuntinum lies in the present village Bad Deutsch-Altenburg, almost on the bank of the Danube river. The most important excavations from the ancient city can be seen here.
Imperial Natural History Museum
Imperial Natural History Museum or Imperial Royal Natural History Court Museum of Austria-Hungary was created by (Kaiser) Emperor Franz Joseph I during an extensive reorganization of the museum collections, from 1851-1876, and opened to the public on August 10, 1889. Located in Vienna, the Museum was named in German as "K.k. Naturhistorisches Hofmuseum".
The Landeszeughaus, in Graz, Austria, is Europe's only surviving Renaissance armory. It holds approximately 30,000 pieces, enough to equip an army of 5,000.
The Kunsthaus Bregenz (KUB) is primarily an exhibition space for contemporary art. Various themes are continuously worked on and expanded. Prominent thematic emphasis is placed on the interactions and connecting points between art and architecture/design. Real space becomes a central theme for contemprary artists working in this field.
Even by today's standards the Secession is a daring building with its cupola of golden laurel leaves and its art deco facade. It is one of the keyworks of Viennese Art Nouveaux architecture and was planned and built by Joseph Maria Olbricht, a student of Otto Wagner, to serve the needs of an artist association Olbricht himself belonged to. The museum specializes on contemporary art.
The Albertina is a museum in the Innere Stadt of Vienna, Austria. It houses one of the largest and most important graphics collections in the world with approximately 65,000 drawings and approximately 1 million old master prints, as well as more modern graphics works.
Wien Museum is a general-purpose metropolitan museum with a wide range of collections and exhibitions – from the history of the city to art, fashion and modern culture, from the earliest settlements to the present day. Because of its general approach and interdisciplinary potential, it occupies a unique position among Vienna’s museums.
The Esperanto Museum in Vienna/Austria was founded in 1927 by Hofrat Hugo Steiner and was incorporated into the Austrian National Library as an independent collection in 1928. Today it is at the same time museum, library, documentation centre and archive.
It is one of the important museums specialised in collecting and exhibiting conceptual and performance art pieces in different media. The Generali Foundation was established in 1988 by the Generali Group Austria as a private and non-profit-making art association for the promotion of contemporary art.
The Leopold Museum, housed in the Museumsquartier in Vienna, Austria, is home to one of the largest collections of modern Austrian art, featuring artists such as Egon Schiele, Gustav Klimt, Oskar Kokoschka and Richard Gerstl.
The Heeresgeschichtliches Museum is a military history museum located in Vienna, Austria. It claims to be the oldest and largest purpose-built military history museum in the world. Its collection includes one of the world's largest collections of bronze cannon and focuses on Austrian military history from the 16th century to 1945.
The Liechtenstein Museum is in Vienna, Austria, named after the House of Liechtenstein, one of Europe's oldest noble families. The museum includes the Princely Collections containing important European works of art, forming one of the world's leading private art collections.
MUMOK is the abbreviation of "Museum MOderner Kunst" (English: Museum of Modern Art) Foundation Ludwig Vienna. It is located in the Museumsquartier in Vienna, Austria. The museum has a collection of 7,000 modern and contemporary art works, including major works from Andy Warhol, Pablo Picasso, Joseph Beuys, Jasper Johns and Roy Lichtenstein. 230 pieces were given to the museum by the German industrialist and art lover Peter Ludwig and his wife Irene in 1981.
Österreichische Galerie Belvedere
The Österreichische Galerie Belvedere is a museum housed in the Belvedere palace, in Vienna, Austria. The art collection includes masterpieces from the Middle Ages and Baroque until the 21st century, though it focuses on Austrian painters from the Fin de Siècle and Art Nouveau period. The best known artists on display are Gustav Klimt and Egon Schiele.
Vienna Museum of Ethnology
The Vienna Museum of Ethnology (Museum für Völkerkunde) is currently housed in the Neue Hofburg and it has a quarter million ethnographical and archaeological objects from Asia, Africa, Oceania, and America.
Ars Electronica Center
The "Ars Electronica Center - Museum of the future" is in Linz, Austria. It is the leading museum of digital art and media art. Opened in 1996, the center presents computer art on a 2000 square meter area. The Ars Electronica Center opened in 1996 as a prototype of a “Museum of the Future.” Its mission is to utilize interactive forms of mediation to facilitate the general public’s encounter with virtual reality, digital networks and modern media.
Museum Of Young Art
The Museum Of Young Art (MOYA) is a museum in Vienna, Austria devoted to 21st century art and artists. It is located on Ring Boulevard next to Burgtheater.
Lentos Art Museum
As the successor of the New Gallery of the City of Linz, the Lentos Art Museum, which opened in May 2003, is among the most important museums of modern art in Austria. The clear and coherent structural design, created by the Zurich architects Weber & Hofer, provides Linz with a museum of art of international status, positioned in the urban context. The internationally acclaimed 130 meter long building by the Zurich architects Weber & Hofer provides approximately 8000 m2 for use and is located directly on the Danube between the Nibelungen Bridge and Brucknerhaus.
The Kunsthaus Graz, Grazer Kunsthaus, or Graz Art Museum was built as part of the European Capital of Culture celebrations in 2003 and has since become an architectural landmark in Graz, Austria. Its exhibition program specializes in contemporary art of the last four decades.