Bank of Jamaica
The Bank of Jamaica, established by the Bank of Jamaica Law (1960), began operations in May 1961, terminating the Currency Board System which had been in existence from 1939. The establishment of the Central Bank was in recognition of the need for an appropriately regulated financial structure to encourage the development process, particularly as Jamaica was about to embark on the road to political independence.
NCB Jamaica Ltd.
National Commercial Bank Jamaica Limited, first began when the Colonial Bank of London, England, commenced operations in Jamaica at Harbour Street, Kingston in 1837. By 1925, there were 11 branches island-wide. In 1925, the Colonial Bank together with two other banks, were acquired by Barclays Bank of London. The new organization was incorporated as Barclays Bank (Dominion Colonial and Overseas), which later became Barclays Bank D.C.O.
Scotiabank Jamaica- Development Bank of Jamaica
The Development Bank of Jamaica Limited (DBJ), created following the merger of the Agricultural Credit Bank of Jamaica Limited and the National Development Bank of Jamaica Limited, aims to assist in the development and modernization of all viable enterprises in the agricultural, agro-industrial, information technology, manufacturing and tourism sectors of the Jamaican economy.