The Copperbelt University was established as a public University by an act of Parliament No. 19 of 1987 1st December 1987. Before then, the institution fell under the University of Zambia Federal system which comprised of three consistent institutions; namely University of Zambia, Lusaka University of Zambia, Ndola and University of Zambia, Solowezi. In 1987 the Government reconsisted the University of Zambia at Ndola into Copperbelt University while the Unversity of Zambia at Lusaka became the University of Zambia The Unversity has enjoyed sigificant growth in recent years, with major expansion in the Programmes offered. It now has four Faculties after the incorporation of the Zambia Institute of Technology into the University as the School of Technology in 1989, and the creation of the School of Forestry and Wood Science in 1995 later renamed School of Natural Resources in 2001. The University is one of the most popular in Zambia attracting over 5,000 applications fo its 800 available places each year. The wide choice of courses and good good quality record of teaching, coupled with stability of study programmes, contribute to this popularity.
University of Zambia
Some thought had been given in the early 1950s to the establishment of a University college in Lusaka, but such proposals as there may have been were abandoned in 1953 with the creation of the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland and the related political decision to establish a University college in Salisbury (now Harare). Almost ten years were to pass before the question of a University for the then Northern Rhodesia was formally re-opened. This was done by the government which came into power in December 1962, and which for the first time consisted of a majority from the two nationalist parties, the United National Independence Party and the African National Congress. In March 1963, this Government appointed a Commission under the Chairmanship of Sir John Lockwood, a former Vice-Chancellor of the University of London, to advise on the development of a University. In its report, which was submitted in November 1963, the Lockwood Commission unanimously recommended the establishment of a University in Lusaka. In January 1964, the Government signified that it accepted the recommendations of the Lockwood Commission and within four months there was an inaugural meeting of the Provisional Council of the University, the body charged with bringing the University into being. In July 1964, the former Rhodes-Livingstone Institute, a research institute with an international reputation for scholarly research and publications in the field of social anthropology dating back to 1938, came under the jurisdiction of the Provisional Council. In July 1965, Dr D.G. Anglin, of Carleton University in Canada, was appointed as Vice-Chancellor. A month later, the Oppenheimer College of Social Service was incorporated into the University at a time when extensive additions to its premises in John Mbita Road, in the Ridgeway area of Lusaka, were already well under way.