NATIONAL TAIWAN UNIVERSITY
The predecessor of National Taiwan University was Taihoku (Taipei) Imperial University, founded by the Japanese in 1928. The first president was Dr. Shidehara Tan Tairaka Hiroshi. When Taihoku University was first established, it had two colleges: the College of Liberal Arts and Law, and the College of Science and Agriculture, and had a combined total of 60 students. The College of Medicine and the College of Engineering were added in 1936 and 1943 respectively. The College of Science and Agriculture was also divided into two colleges in 1943: the college of Science, and the college of Agriculture. The college of Agriculture was divided into three sections: the College of Agriculture and Forestry, the College of Medicine, and the Graduate Institute of Tropical Medicine.
NATIONAL CHIAO TUNG UNIVERSITY
National Chiao Tung University was founded in the suburbs of Shanghai in 1896, sixteen years before the birth of the Republic of China, at the suggestion of Hsuan-Wai Shen, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Ching Dynasty. The University was first named Nanyang College. It was established to meet the urgent need to introduce western civilization into China. The college initially focused only on politics, law, and translations of western books. In the later years of the Ching Dynasty, the college was renamed the Vocational College of Higher Education and was governed by the Ministry of Post and Transportation. By Including new vocational programs, such as business, electrical engineering, shipping management, and railway management, the college played a major role in science and engineering education in modern China
NATIONAL SUN YAT-SEN UNIVERSITY
In 1923, just two years before his untimely demise, the Founding Father of the Republic of China (ROC), Dr. Sun Yat-sen, established two universities, one civil and one military. The civil university was Kwangtung University (renamed Chungshan University in 1926), and the military university was Whampoa Military Academy. Both univserties generated remarkable contributions and played an important education role in modern Chinese history. After Chungshan University (or Sun Yat-sen University) was established in Canton, it had to move south due to the Sino-Japanese War. The university moved first to Yunnan, and later to Yuehpei. Finally, in 1945, the university settled back to its original campus in Canton, and schooling continued.
NATIONAL TSING HUA UNIVERSITY TAIWAN
At the same year as the Republic of China was established in 1911, Tsing Hua Academy was instituted at Tsing Hua Garden in Peking. The Academy was renamed National Tsing Hua University in 1928. To invigorate the students, the University has incorporated "Self-Discipline and Social Commitment: Development of self in accordance with the celestial principle of consistency; Cultivation of amplitude in emulation of the earth's benevolent support of man and nature." as the school motto. During World-War II, the University moved to Kunming in southwest China where it became, jointly with the National Peking University and the National Nankai University, the National Southwestern University. The University moved back to Peking in 1946 after the war. After the Republic of China moved to Taiwan in 1949, the University was re-installed in 1956 in Hsinchu. The first academic program re-established was the graduate institute of nuclear science, and undergraduate programs were later restored in 1964.
NATIONAL CENTRAL UNIVERSITY
In 1902, during the late Qing Dynasty, the Liangjiang Governor-General Chang Chih-tung established Liangjiang Normal School in the Chinese city of Nanjing. This was the birth of modern-style education in China and also the founding of NCU. NCU was re-established in Taiwan in 1962 as part of the country´s response to the International Geophysical Year. The school was initially located in Miaoli, but was relocated to Jhongli in 1968, and gradually developed into a comprehensive university. NCU has now become Taiwan´s leading school in the fields of geophysics and space science, and was selected as one of the major research-oriented universities in 2001. It is a first-rate university with solid international qualifications
NATIONAL CHENGCHI UNIVERSITY
National Chengchi University (NCCU) was founded in 1927. Over the past 8 decades through re-formulation and development, we have been upholding our motto, “harmony, independence, balance and preeminence”, and have continued to refine our teaching methods and research in order to nurture talent for our country and society. We currently have 9 colleges excelling in the liberal arts, law, commerce, science, foreign languages, social sciences, communication, international affairs and education, comprised of 33 departments and 47 graduate institutes (MA programs). 30 of the graduate institutes offer doctoral programs. In addition, in acting upon the policy of implementing our back-flow education, we have founded 16 on-the-job MA programs.
Established in 1950 as a Junior College of English, Tamkang first offered a two-year program and then a three-year program. It was not until 1958 that Tamkang, after it was reinstituted as a College of Arts and Sciences, awarded bachelor’s degrees to its graduates. In 1980, Tamkang was elevated to the university status. After more than fifty years of growth, Tamkang University has developed from a Junior College of English into a comprehensive university. Today, Tamkang University has 11 colleges comprising 47 departments and divisions, 50 master’s programs, and 17 doctoral programs. The total student enrollment is 27,845, and the number of faculty and staff members is 2,186. Now, Tamkang University has four campuses: the Tamsui Campus, the Taipei Campus, the Lanyang Campus, and the Cyber Campus. The third campus, the Lanyang Campus in I-lan County, has been recruiting new students since 2005. Also, by using information technology and the Internet, Tamkang University’s Cyber Campus has set up various learning environments; not only has Tamkang University exchanged courses with those of other universities in Taiwan, it has also teamed up with universities abroad to have online cooperation programs. Meanwhile, world renowned professors are invited to teach online at Tamkang’s Cyber Campus
NATIONAL CHUNG CHENG UNIVERSITY
The College of Management is one of the five original Colleges established by National Chung-Cheng University . When this College was established in 1989, it consisted of only three graduate institutes, namely the Graduate Institute of International Economics, the Graduate Institute of Finance, and the Graduate Institute of Business Administration. Since then, two additional graduate institutes, the Graduate Institute of Accounting and the Graduate Institute of Information Management, had been established. In addition, five undergraduate departments, the Dept. of Economics, the Dept. of Finance, the Dept. of Business Administration, the Dept. of Accounting, and the Dept. of Information Management, have been created to offer undergraduate programs. Today, the College of Management , through its various graduate institutes and undergraduate departments offers comprehensive academic programs, ranging from BA and MBA to Ph.D degree
Established in 1990. Renamed in 1997 Locating at the east foothill of Guanyin Mountain in Kaohsiung County, I-Shou University (ISU) was established by Mr. Lin I-Shou in 1986 for commemorating his mother and benefiting the villages and towns where he grew up. Its predecessor, Kaohsiung Polytechnic Institute (KPI), started to recruit students in August 1990; in 1997, after being approved by the Ministry of Education, KPI was formally renamed as I-Shou University.
NATIONAL CHUNG HSING UNIVERSITY
National Chung Hsing University (NCHU) began as an agricultural college 87 years ago. With this longstanding tradition, NCHU continues to take great pride in its consistent and continuous contributions to the Taiwanese society through the network of our alumni.NCHU manages 7 colleges, Biotechnology Center, Biotechnology Center, Nano-Science Center, Innovation Incubator, Technology Licensing Office, Center for Education Teacher, Extension Division for In-service and Continuing Education, four experimental forests and two experimental farms. It is the only state-run university in central Taiwan that has comprehensive offerings in both research and curriculum
FU JEN CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY
Fu Jen Catholic University is a comprehensive university founded by the Holy See. Starting from 2003, the University comprises 9 colleges (Liberal Arts, Arts, Foreign Languages, Science and Engineering, Human Ecology, Law, Social Sciences, Management, Medicine), 45 departments, offering 42 master programs, and 11 Ph.D. programs. The University has established sister-school relationships with more than 100 renowned universities world-wide and is committed to the holistic education. The University strives to provide students a diversified, whole-person, interdisciplinary, and international learning environment
The history of Providence University can be traced back to 1921 when its founders and forerunners first paved the road. Their successors followed in their steps, all contributing greatly to what Providence has become today. In 1920, Mother Marie Gratia Luking (1885-1964) and five Sisters of Providence came to China. In 1921, they founded Hua-Mei Girls' Elementary and High Schools in Kaifeng City, Honan Province; it was one of the first schools for girls in China. In the spring of 1929, the school was forced to close because of the political turbulence. However, the Providence Sisters, enthusiastic with regard to female education, endeavored to establish another school in spite of the critical situation. In 1932, by the effort of the Board of Trustees, "Ching-Yi Girls' High School" was instituted in Kaifeng. His Eminenece Cardinal Yu Pin was the first Chairperson of the Board of Trustees, and Ms. Chi-Liang Ing was the first President of the school. In 1942, Mother Gratia and the other sisters were imprisoned; they did not regain their freedom until 1945. In 1948, the war between the Kuomintang Party and the Communist Party forced the sisters to retreat to Shanghai and afterwards to Taiwan
YUAN ZE UNIVERSITY
In order to sincerely and thoughtfully repay society by providing more educational opportunities, Mr. Y. Z. Hsu, the founder of Far Eastern Textile Group, sought out eminent domestic scholars willing to contribute their experience and wisdom to the establishment of Yuan-Ze Institute of Technology, which was to be based on the highest educational ideals
FENG CHIA UNIVERSITY
Visitors are invited to learn about the origins and historical development of this beautiful metropolitan university at About Feng Chia or by visiting the First Guest House on the campus to have a look at the historical displays of the school's development there. You may also make an appointment with Tour of the Campus for a real guided tour of the campus or, as an alternative, take a virtual tour at Virtual Tour of the Campus and get a better understanding of each part of the campus at The Campus. The accommodation service of the Alumni Hostel will let you enjoy the special beauty of the FengChia campus even better
From Tunghai University’s modest beginnings in 1955, the school adopted the ‘pioneering spirit’. When most Taiwanese universities’ sole emphasis was on specialization, we were the first to encourage a well-rounded general education. When the standard practice was separation between academics and life, we initiated a student work labor program to promote holistic education. 50 years later, this program has become an integral part of the Tunghai curriculum. It has been praised by people from all walks of life, and has been imitated by other universities. These examples of our pioneering spirit have made Tunghai a university unique in its goals and ideals
NATIONAL TAIWAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
The National Taiwan University of Science and Technology (NTUST), under the outstanding leadership of successive presidents, has been recognized by all sectors of society for its academic and practical achievements in such areas as cooperation with industry, promotion of entrepreneurship, and technology licensing. We are focusing our efforts on structuring a campus that nurtures creativity, with a vision of building a world-class university through international outreach and applied research.
KAOHSIUNG MEDICAL UNIVERSITY
Established in 1954. Renamed in 1999 Introduction Kaohsiung Medical University (originally known as Kaohsiung Medical College) was formally established in 1954. Apart from being the first private medical university in Taiwan, the university has also become an important cradle for highly-skilled physicians and medical-related specialists. Kaohsiung Medical University was a center of both medical care and the study of local tropical medicine in the early days. The colleges set aside its tropical disease research mission after the World Health Organization announced that Taiwan was no longer a tropical disease endemic area, and turned its full attention to the steadily evolving areas of basic medical science and clinical medical research. The university has also continued to strengthen its medical services. Kaohsiung Medical University therefore have laid a solid foundation as southern Taiwan's leading medical institution.
SOOCHOW UNIVERSITY TAIWAN
Soochow University is on the cultural axis of Taipei City. Near the National Palace Museum, among lush green hills and a clear stream flowing by, the Waishuanghsi Campus presents a spectacular view and offers the students a superior study environment. On this campus are the School of Arts & Social Sciences, the School of Foreign Languages and Cultures, and the School of Science
SHIH HSIN UNIVERSITY
Shih Hsin University has become the reputable institution it is today by overcoming many challenges along the way.Since attaining the status of institute, the school has invested heavily in the construction of new facilities, renovating dormitories, supplementing research and educational equipment, as well as significantly upgrading the organization of its teaching staff. Through the joint efforts of both faculty and students, the school made remarkable progress in academic quality, winning praise from all quarters, culminating in approval of its change of stutas to Shih Hsin University beginning in August 1997. The university brought together the College of Journalism, the School of Management Studies, the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, and the School of Law, with the goal of becoming a sophisticated comprehensive university with an enrollment of around 10,000 students
NATIONAL DONG HWA UNIVERSITY
In October of 1991, the National Dong Hwa University Planning Office was established in Hualien by the Ministry of Education as part of its mission to foster the balanced regional development of Taiwan through the even distribution of higher education systems in the north, south, east, and west of the island. Dr. Paul Tzung-Tsan Mu was appointed to head the Office and led the development of plans for eastern Taiwan's first comprehensive university. On July 1, 1994, National Dong Hwa University was formally inaugurated with Dr. Mu serving as its founding President. After seven years of vigorous and unflagging commitment, Dr. Mu resigned from his administrative duties at the University in the summer of 2001. On January 23, 2002, Dr. Wen-shu Hwang, who had shared Dr. Mu's mission of transforming a series of humble sugarcane fields into a world-class university since the very beginning, was elected to serve as Dr. Mu's successor. Under Dr. Hwang's innovative leadership, the University has continued to strive for excellent teaching, research and community outreach.
NATIONAL YUNLIN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
National Yunlin University of Science and Technology ( YunTech ) is a brand new technological institution in Taiwan established in 1990s. With full financial support from central government, the University was funded unprecedented billions of NT dollars to construct and ensure its best facilities and quality in this country. In the past 10 years, with efforts of the faculty, students, and so forth, YunTech now be comes Taiwan's top one or two leading technological university. YunTech has promoted interdisciplinary and multi-disciplinary scholarship and makes a distinctive contribution to professional higher education by emphasizing theory and practice, and combining technology and humanities
CHINESE CULTURE UNIVERSITY
Founded in 1962 and tentatively named Far East University by its founder, Dr. Chang Chi-yun, Chinese Culture University (CCU) was originally christened College of Chinese Culture by the late ROC President Chiang Kai-shek, henceforth mapping out the direction of its future development and educational ideals. To many, the essence of Chinese tradition consists in literature, history, and philosophy, while the merits at least of modern Western civilization have been science and democracy. Yet, Chinese culture if it is to continue to grow and prosper in its present historical and global setting must inherit the best that the East and the West has to offer. It is for this and other equally pressing reasons and in light of the challenges faced by our young in Taiwan that CCU from its inception conceived an undergraduate program comprehensive enough to include all that is relevant in the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences
NATIONAL YANG MING UNIVERSITY
Found in 1974, National Yang Ming University, formerly known as National Yang Ming College of Medicine, has been adhering to the school motto of ¡§benevolent mind and art, putting knowledge into practice¡¨ while training excellent humane doctors to provide service by solving medical problems in remote and rural areas. Graduated in 1982, the first government-sponsored class of the Faculty of Medicine was sent to public clinics and hospitals. Since then, our graduates have penetrated all corners of Taiwan and became pioneers in basic healthcare services. As our graduates won warm acclaim from society, we found that we had successfully accomplished our initial mission.
TAIPEI MEDICAL UNIVERSITY
Established in 1960. Renamed in 2000 Taipei Medical University (TMU), formerly known as Taipei Medical College, was founded on June 1, 1960 by Dr. Shui-Wang Hu, Dr. Cheng-Tien Hsu along with other medical specialists and ardent educators to make a dream to come true. With 73,755 square meters, TMU is located on Wusing Street near central Taipei City. As of now, there are more than 27,000 TMU graduates. Most of our alumni now serve in medical institutions and clinics while some are prominent figures in the fields of research, politics, and business. Taipei Medical College started out with 3 schools: medicine, dentistry, and pharmacy. Since 1990, Dr. Chung-Hong Hu, the former president, achieved the goal of upgrading and since then, a medical university was formed. The university has been expanded to 5 colleges, 11 schools and 17 graduate institutes. Under the current leadership of President Dr. Chung- Yi Hsu, TMU continuously strives to improve the quality and quantity of research to speed up its internationalization and to become a world-class university by 2010
NNATIONAL CHIAYI UNIVERSITY
Established in 2000 National Chiayi University (NCYU) was formed in February 2000 by merging the National Chiayi Institute of Technology (NCIT) and National Chiayi Teachers College (NCTC). NCIT was founded in 1919 as Chiayi Agriculture and Forestry Public School. NCTC was founded in 1957 as Taiwan Provincial Chiayi Normal School. By integrating the two colleges, National Chiayi University is one of the few universities in southwest Taiwan offering programs in life science, agriculture, business administration, natural science, engineering, humanities and education. The University has six colleges with more than 29 graduate institutes and 37 departments on four campuses
NATIONAL KAOHSIUNG UNIVERSITY OF APPLIED SCIENCES
Established in 1963, KUAS has developed from a junior college to a leading University of Science and Technology in southern Taiwan. We employ over 500 experienced and enthusiastic faculty and staff. They share the belief that the student is the most important person on campus. The number of our students has exceeded 10,000. With high-quality programs in the fields of engineering, commerce and management as well as humanities and social sciences, we help prepare our students for the competition they need to face in the job market. The programs are designed to meet the demands of the students. They can take full-time undergraduate or graduate programs, attend classes in the evenings or at weekends to improve their professional skills
SOUTHERN TAIWAN UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY
In 1996, due to its excellence in education, Nan-Tai was upgraded from a Junior College to a College of Technology. Till then, there were 9 classes of students for the 6 Departments of Electronics Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Finance, Business Administration, and Information Management. STUT thus became the college with most approved classes among the three colleges first upgrading in 1996. In 1998, our four-year University Division was established in the Departments of Electronics Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Finance, Applied Japanese, and Marketing and Logistics Management.
Huafan is proud to be the first university founded by the Buddhist community among the Chinese-speaking countries. The University has incorporated the ideals of both Chinese education and Buddhist culture into its curricula. It was established by the Ven. Hiu Wan, artist and educator, in 1990, as Huafan College of Humanities and Technology and, then in 1997 was accredited its present status of a full-fledged university. Located in the rural area outside of Taipei, Huafan prides itself on its sublime educational ideals, its energetic teaching faculty, and its serene mountainous surroundings.
CHANG GUNG UNIVERSITY
The University's campus covers an area of 37.13 hectares; major structures include the Medical Science Building, Engineering Building, Third Teaching Building, Second Medical Science Building, student dormitories (2), Student Activity Center, and Library. These buildings provide a total of 354,849 square meters of floor space. There is thus approximately 60.6 square meters of campus space and 57.9 square meters indoor space per student. The campus facilities are divided into three functional areas: teaching and research, recreation, and residential areas
NATIONAL TAIWAN UNIVERSITY OF ARTS
The university was founded on October 31 st 1955 in Ban Ciao City, Taipei County with its predecessor name ¡§ National Arts School¡¨. Three departments including Drama, Chinese Opera, and Fine Arts were available in the beginning. The Three-Year Disciple of Film & Drama Narrating & Directing was added in the following year. The Five-Year Disciple of Music and of Fine Arts and Craft Design were supplemented in 1957. At the same time, Disciple of Drama, of Chinese Opera, and of Fine Arts and Printing were changed to the Five Year System (which enrolled junior high graduates). In 1958, Chinese Education Production Studio was merged into the school. In 1959, the enrollment of four disciples, including The Disciple of Chinese Opera, of Film & Drama Narrating & Directing, of Fine Arts and Printing, and of Fine Arts and Craft Design were suspended for simplifying the school structure.