UNIVERSITIES SOUTH AFRICA
Cape Peninsula University of Technology
The history of the two institutions goes back to 1920 when the foundation stone of the Longmarket Street Building of the then Cape Technical College was laid in Cape Town. The establishment of the college followed more than ten years of representations by the community for the consolidation of the technical courses which had been offered in various venues in town.
Central University of Technology, Free State
The Technikon Free State (now Central University of Technology, Free State) opened its doors on 1 January 1981 in a disused school building in Bloemfontein, Free State Province, under the leadership of the then Mr (later Professor Doctor) J J (Japie) van Lill as Director. He was later promoted to Rector and retired in 1996. During that month the first students, a total of 285, were enrolled and lectures were offered in mainly the commercial and art disciplines. To reach that point, however, many months of hard work were invested by a dedicated group of people under the chair of Mr Dirk Coetzee, an experienced and senior educator who had first-hand knowledge of career-orientated education.
Durban Institute of Technology
Technikon Natal was founded by Dr Samuel George Campbell in 1907. Known as the Durban Technical Institute, it operated out of cramped premises in Russell Street, providing courses for 382 part-time students. Dr Campbell was a widely-respected physician who dedicated himself to establishing higher education and professional technical training institutions in KwaZulu-Natal. He became the first chairman of the Council of the Institute.
Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) opened on 1 January 2005, the result of the merging of the PE Technikon the University of Port Elizabeth (UPE) and the Port Elizabeth campus of Vista University (Vista PE). This union of three very different institutions came about as a result of government’s countrywide restructuring of higher education – intended to deliver a more equitable and efficient system to meet the needs of South Africa in the 21st century. NMMU brings together the best traditions of technikon and university education, and draws on more than a century of quality higher education, in a new kind of university that offers a wide range of academic, professional and technological programmes at varying entrance and exit levels. NMMU has approximately 25 000 students and approximately 2 500 staff members, based on seven campuses in the Nelson Mandela Metropole and George. The sites are the Summerstrand North (former PE Technikon Main) and Summerstrand South (former UPE Main) Campuses, Second Avenue (former PE Technikon College) Campus, the George campuses at York Street and Saasveld, the Bird Street Campus, and Vista Campus.
Rhodes University is located in the heart of South Africa's Eastern Cape Province and owes its unique character to a combination of historical, geographical, cultural and architectural factors. Its history is a chronicle of those whose intellect, vision and courage created and sustained a university whose impact on the past of the region is exceeded only by its potential to impact its future. Small in size but substantial in their impact, the achievements of successive generations of Rhodians have had an influence on Southern Africa and beyond out of all proportion to their number. A place indeed Where leaders learn.
Tshwane University of Technology
The Tshwane University of Technology (TUT) is a proud product of South Africa's first decade of democracy. While the size and scope of this dynamic new institution impress, the quality of its teaching, research and community engagement is what makes the University really stands out. TUT was established on 1 January 2004, with the merging of the former Technikon Northern Gauteng, Technikon North-West and Technikon Pretoria. At the time of the merger, the uniquely South African institutional designation of "technikon" was dropped in favour for the internationally accepted "university of technology" designation.
University of Cape Town
University of Cape Town mission is to be an outstanding teaching and research university, educating for life and addressing the challenges facing our society.
University of Fort Hare
Fort Hare came into existence in 1916 and is the oldest historically black university in Southern Africa. Throughout its existence, Fort Hare graduates have come from as far North as Kenya, Uganda and Nigeria, and all knew they were as good as the best. Many enjoyed prominent careers in fields as diverse as politics, medicine, literature and art. Some alumni, like Nelson Mandela, Oliver Tambo Govan Mbeki, Chris Hani, Robert Sobukwe, Mangosuthu Buthelezi, Dennis Brutus (an acclaimed poet), Can Themba (an accomplished journalist), Yusuf Lule of Uganda, Ntsu Mokehle of Lesotho, Seretse Khama of Botswana, Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe, Herbert Chitepo, novelist Stanlake Samkange and the first black Zimbabwean medical doctor, Ticofa Parirenyatwa, are well known. Eliud Mathu and Charles Njonjo are two of our better-known alumni in Kenya. This cosmopolitan university boasts a long-standing tradition of non-racism which is characterised by intellectually enriching and critical debate. There is an almost tangible aspiration towards educational excellence while social life on campus is vibrant. The model blueprint for the transformation and repositioning of this legendary institution in the twentieth century - the Strategic Plan 2000 and the subsequent Institutional Operating Plan(IOP) - nurtures and builds upon this tradition. The objective of these internationally lauded corporate re- engineering plans is to make this university worthy of its rich inheritance as a reflection of a dynamic institution.
University of Johannesburg
The University of Johannesburg was established on 1 December 2005. It is the result of the incorporation of the Soweto and East Rand campuses of Vista University into the Rand Afrikaans University, which took place on 1 January 2004, and the merger of the Rand Afrikaans University (into which the two Vista campuses had been incorporated) and the Technikon Witwatersrand on 1 January 2005, to create the University of Johannesburg (UJ). The Technikon Witwatersrand had been in existence since 1925, the Rand Afrikaans University since 1967 and the Vista University since 1982. UJ has five campuses spread over Central Gauteng: the Auckland Park Kingsway Campus (the main campus), the Doornfontein Campus, the Auckland Park Bunting Road Campus, the Soweto Campus and the East Rand Campus. With over 40 000 full-time students and 2 700 permanent employees, it is one of the largest residential universities in South Africa
University of KwaZulu-Natal
The University of KwaZulu-Natal was formed on 1 January 2004 as a result of the merger between the University of Durban-Westville and the University of Natal. The new university brings together the rich histories of both the former Universities. The University of Durban-Westville was established in the 1960s as the University College for Indians on Salisbury Island in Durban Bay. Student numbers throughout the 1960s were low as a result of the Congress Alliances’ policy of shunning apartheid structures. This policy gave way in the 1980s to a strategy of “education under protest” which sought to transform apartheid institutions into sites of struggle. Student numbers grew rapidly and in 1971, the College was granted University status. The following year, the newly-named University of Durban-Westville moved into its modern campus in Westville and was a site of major anti-apartheid struggle. UDW became an autonomous institution in 1984, opening up to students of all races. Founded in 1910 as the Natal University College in Pietermaritzburg, the University of Natal was granted independent University status in 1949 owing to its rapid growth in numbers, its wide range of courses and its achievements in and opportunities for research. By that time, the NUC was already a multi-campus institution, having been extended to Durban after World War 1. The distinctive Howard College building was opened in 1931, following a donation by Mr T B Davis, whose son Howard Davis was killed during the Battle of Somme in World War I. In 1946, the government approved a Faculty of Agriculture in Pietermaritzburg and, in 1947, a Medical School for African, Indian and Coloured students in Durban. The two KwaZulu-Natal universities were among the first batch of South African institutions to merge in 2004 in accordance with the government’s higher educational restructuring plans that will eventually see the number of higher educational institutions in South Africa reduced from 36 to 21. Confirmed by a Cabinet decision in December 2002, the mergers are the culmination of a wide-ranging consultative process on the restructuring of the Higher Education Sector that began in the early 1990s.
University of Limpopo
A world-class African university, which responds to education, research and community development needs through partnerships, and knowledge generation - continuing the long tradition of empowerment.
University of North West
The newly merged North-West University symbolises a new era in higher education. On the first day in January 2004 an apartheid induced divide was overcome when the University of North-West, a historically black university merged with the Potchefstroom University for Christian Higher Education, a historically white university. The new university was named the North-West University. This move formed part of the minister of education's plan to restructure the higher education landscape in South Africa by merging 36 tertiary institutions into ultimately 21 institutions. The managements and councils of both of the former universities accepted the inevitable and decided to make a success of the merger. The then universities realised the reconciling role this new institution could play and the obligation it had to the people of South Africa in fulfilling its role as a new, truly South African university.
University of Pretoria
The University of Pretoria has its origins in the establishment of the Pretoria Centre of the Transvaal University College in 1908. The colloquial name of the university, Tuks or Tukkies, was derived from the acronym of the college – TUC. The college opened its doors as an Afrikaans language institution housed in Kya Rosa, a four-bedroom residential property in the centre of Pretoria. TUC started off with four professors and three lecturers and 32 enrolled students. Courses were presented in Dutch and other Modern Languages, English Language and Literature, Classics (which included Philosophy, Latin and Hebrew), as well as Natural Sciences. On 10 October 1930, an act of Parliament – championed by General Jan Smuts – gave rise to the name TUC becoming the University of Pretoria. At the time the University had more than 900 students, making it the largest tertiary institution in the country at the time. UP currently has more than 50 000 students and has become one of the leading higher education institutions on the continent and indeed, in the world. It now offers courses in both English and Afrikaans and has transformed from a mainly white, Afrikaner institution to a multicultural, multiracial university that offers quality education to South Africans from all walks of life.
University of South Africa
UNISA is Africa’s leading distance learning institution nurturing inspiring leaders of tomorrow. We are a reputable, comprehensive, flexible and accessible Open Distance Learning institution that is motivating a future generation. We offer internationally accredited qualifications and have world-class resources that inspire learners to create meaningful futures on their own terms. Our vision “Towards the African university in the service of humanity” drives us to find answers to Africa’s education and developmental problems. By forming partnerships in Africa and throughout the world, we are able to help the people of Africa achieve their dreams. UNISA’s roots go back over 130 years, which makes it the oldest university in South Africa. The University of the Cape of Good Hope, which changed its name to the University of South Africa in 1916, was initially an examining body. In other words, it offered examinations but not tuition, and it had the power to confer degrees on successful candidates. The renaming of the institution in 1916 ushered in a number of important changes. UNISA moved its headquarters from Cape Town to Pretoria in 1918, and although it continued to be an examining body, it also incorporated a number of university colleges which later became fully autonomous teaching universities. In 1918, when the University moved to Pretoria, offices were rented in Somerset House, Vermeulen Street, Pretoria. By 1944, a new vision of the institution as a teaching university was beginning to emerge and in 1946 Professor AJH van der Walt was asked to investigate the possibility of devising a system of postal or correspondence tuition for non-residential students. On 15 February 1946, the Division of External Studies was established. This transformed UNISA into a teaching university that became the pioneer of tertiary distance education in the Western world. For the next five decades or so UNISA steadily built up an international reputation as an affordable, credible, accessible and flexible distance education institution.
University of Stellenbosch
Stellenbosch, the country's oldest town, has from very early on had a significant involvement in the history of education in South Africa. As early as 1685, when the Dutch Reformed Church founded its second parish here, a beginning was made with regular school instruction. By the 1840s the Cape Colony was operating a system of centrally controlled Public Schools, along the lines advocated by Sir John Herschel. (The famous astronomer's advice and active support had been obtained while he was out here on a research visit.) Under this system, Stellenbosch was recognized as a divisional centre for education. Another of the town's notable older educational institutions was started in November 1859, namely the Theological Seminary of the Dutch Reformed Church. Meeting in the nearby Old Reading Room in December 1863, thirty public-spirited inhabitants of the Stellenbosch district committed themselves to collecting a certain sum for the establishment of a gymnasium within five years. They achieved their objective well ahead of time. In 1866 under the new Education Act the local Public School was reorganized as a First Class Public School, also to be known as the Stellenbosch Gymnasium. In 1873 the then Board of Examiners was replaced by the Examining University of the Cape of Good Hope. This new university set steadily increasing standards, thereby creating a demand for more advanced teaching. To help meet the new demand, the Stellenbosch Gymnasium in 1874, under the Higher Education Act, set up its own professorial division. This, called the Arts Department, may be regarded as the germ of the present Faculties of Arts and Science.
University of the Free State
The University of the Free State is situated in the heart of the central region of South Africa. The UFS, a multicultural, parallel-medium (English and Afrikaans) institution, was established in Bloemfontein, capital of the Free State Province, in 1904. On the main campus in Bloemfontein, our students number close to 16 000, while almost 3 000 use other means of study such as the Internet and distance education. The Qwaqwa Campus in the Eastern Free State, which was incorporated in January 2003, has approximately 1 500 students. Our six faculties offer a full range of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. The University is an important centre for research and has close ties with a number of universities on the continent as well as around the world. The UFS is recognised as a leader in the transformation process in South African higher education - a view endorsed by former President Nelson Mandela, who has lauded our University for its transformation and language policies.
University of the Western Cape
A PROUD HISTORY The University of the Western Cape has a history of creative struggle against oppression, discrimination and disadvantage. Among academic institutions it has been in the vanguard of South Africa’s historic change, playing a distinctive academic role in helping to build an equitable and dynamic nation. UWC’s key concerns with access, equity and quality in higher education arise from extensive practical engagement in helping the historically marginalised participate fully in the life of the nation. EARLY DAYS In 1959, Parliament adopted legislation establishing the University College of the Western Cape as a constituent college of the University of South Africa for people classified as "Coloured". The first group of 166 students enrolled in 1960. What they were offered was limited training for lower to middle level positions in schools, the civil service and other institutions designed to serve a separated Coloured community. In 1970 the institution gained university status and was able to award its own degrees and diplomas. A FREER CLIMATE Protest action by students and black academic staff led to the appointment, in 1975, of the first black Rector. The new, freer climate under the leadership of Professor Richard E (Dick) van der Ross was hospitable to intellectual debate and internationally respected scholarship. In its mission statement of 1982, UWC Objectives, the university formally rejected the apartheid ideology on which it was established, adopting a declaration of nonracialism and "a firm commitment to the development of the Third World communities in South Africa." In 1983, through the University of the Western Cape Act of 1983, the university finally gained its autonomy on the same terms as the established "white" institutions.
University of Witwatersrand
The origins of Wits lie in the South African School of Mines, which was established in Kimberley in 1896 and transferred to Johannesburg as the Transvaal Technical Institute in 1904, becoming the Transvaal University College in 1906 and renamed the South African School of Mines and Technology four years later. Full university status was granted in 1922, incorporating the College as the University of the Witwatersrand, with effect from 1st March. Seven months later the inauguration of the University was duly celebrated. Prof. Jan Hofmeyr became its first principal. Construction began at Milner Park on a site donated to the University by the Johannesburg Municipality. The University had, at that stage, six faculties (Arts, Science, Medicine, Engineering, Law and Commerce), 37 departments, 73 members of academic staff and little more than 1 000 students. The period between 1947 and the 1980s was marked by considerable growth — student numbers increased rapidly to 6275 in 1963, 10600 in 1975 and 16400 by 1985. The acquisition of additional property in adjacent areas became imperative. The medical library and the administrative offices of the Faculty of Medicine moved to a new building in Esselen Street, Hillbrow during 1964. The Graduate School of Business was established in Parktown in 1968. In 1969 the Ernest Oppenheimer Residence was formally opened in Parktown. Also in 1969 the clinical departments in the new Medical School were opened. The Medical School moved premises once again and is now situated in York Street, Parktown. Expansion into Braamfontein also took place when, in 1976 Lawson’s Corner, renamed University Corner, was acquired. Senate House, the University’s main administrative building, was occupied in 1977. In the 1960s, the University acquired the Sterkfontein site, which has world-famous limestone caves, rich in archaeological material, and has subsequently been declared a World Heritage Site. In 1968 the neighbouring farm, Swartkrans, also a source of archaeological material, was purchased. In the same year, the University acquired excavation rights in caves of archaeological and palaeontological importance at Makapansgat in the area now known as the Limpopo province. The Wedge, a building formerly owned by the National Institute of Metallurgy, was taken over by the University in 1979. The Milner Park showgrounds were acquired in 1984 from the Witwatersrand Agricultural Society and renamed West Campus. In 1989, the Chamber of Mines Building for the Faculty of Engineering on the West Campus was inaugurated, and the brick-paved AMIC deck was built across the M1 motorway to link the East and West Campuses.
University of Zululand
1960 The University College of Zululand was established as a constituent college academically affiliated to the University of South Africa. Since then, the institution has dramatically evolved from a so-called 'bush college' to a fully-fledged university, equal to any of the centres of higher learning in this country. The first male students are pictured on their arrival at their newly-built residences in 1960. Note the 'lapa' (traditional enclosure) in which they are gathered - an example of the ethnic approach that was followed in the architectural design of the first buildings. 1970 University status granted to the University College of Zululand. 1982 The University of Zululand Foundation is established. It is administered by a Board of Governors that oversees the University's fundraising and investment operations. 1993 The Transformation Committee is formed. Strong links are forged internationally. The research and training farm becomes operational. 2000 The Hewlett-Packard Computer Academy is inaugurated. 2001 The new modular academic system is introduced. 2002 The University of Zululand is designated as the only comprehensive institution of higher learning north of the uThukela River and plans are launched to add career-focused programmes to its curriculum. The University experiences an increased intake of students from other parts of Africa, especially from Namibia, Nigeria, Kenya, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Lesotho and Swaziland. Standardised Assessment Tests (SATs) are administered for the first time in order to assess first-year students in English, Mathematics and Science, so that students at risk in these subjects can be assisted to improve their skills through participation in appropriate enrichment programmes.
Walter Sisulu University for Technology and Science
WALTER SISULU UNIVERSITY for Technology & Science, Eastern Cape through the merger of Border Technikon Eastern Cape Technikon University of Transkei As a unique comprehensive University, WSU will offer students a wealth of academic choices together with articulation and mobility across the qualifications spectrum - ranging from certificates to diplomas and degrees. Higher Education institutions today must ensure their viability and relevance and serve the needs of their clients, the government, commerce and industry and the communities in which they are located. The investment of taxpayers' funds into higher education demands a return in the form of graduates who are equipped to drive the economy. Strategically located within the Eastern Cape, WSU straddles a vast spectrum of the urban and rural divide of the region. This provides the University with the platform to engage intensely with the drivers of development so that an appropriate programme and research mix can be formulated that will profile the advantages of both university and technikon programmes. It is envisaged that WSU will be a strong, vibrant and viable institution with a host of investment and growth opportunities for research and development partnerships between the academic, governmental, non-governmental and corporate environments. This will guarantee the advancement of the national agenda for protracted delivery. In the changing landscape of South Africa WALTER SISULU UNIVERSITY is confident that it can build the foundations of a proud legacy for future generations in this century of African Renaissance.