Ateneo de Manila University
The Ateneo de Manila University began in 1859 when Spanish Jesuits established the Escuela Municipal de Manila, a public primary school established in Intramuros for the city of Manila. However, the educational tradition of the Ateneo embraces the much older history of the Jesuits as a teaching order in the Philippines. The first Spanish Jesuits arrived in the country in 1581. While primarily missionaries, they were also custodians of the ratio studiorum, the system of Jesuit education formulated about 1559. In 1590, they founded one of the first colleges in the Philippines, the Colegio de Manila (also known as the Colegio Seminario de San Ignacio) under the leadership of Antonio Sedeño, S.J. The school formally opened in 1595. In 1621, Pope Gregory XV, through the archbishop of Manila, authorized the San Ignacio to confer degrees in theology and the arts. Two years later, King Philip IV of Spain confirmed this authorization, making the school a royal and a pontifical university, the very first university in the Philippines and in Asia. However, by the mid-18th century, Catholic colonial powers, notably France, Portugal, and Spain, had grown hostile to the Society of Jesus because the Jesuits actively educated and empowered colonized people. The Society was particularly notorious for encouraging indigenous people to seek self-governance. Because of this, the colonial powers eventually expelled the Society, often quite brutally, from their realms.
University of the Philippines Diliman
AS THE ONLY national university in the country, the University of the Philippines System takes pride in being the pioneer in higher education through academic excellence, outstanding research, public service, and modernized facilities. Established in 1908, UP started as a small Manila campus with only a few colleges. Over the years, UP has made a reputation for itself as a research and graduate university that produces scientific and creative outputs of the highest quality which receive both national and in international recognition. Today, the University is comprised of seven constituent universities located in 12 campuses throughout the Philippine archipelago. UP’s constituent universities nurture the intellectual and cultural growth of the Filipino through 246 undergraduate and 362 graduate programs. No other academic institution in the country can match the scope and range of the University’s course offerings that include almost all disciplines and embrace all interests and inclinations. 30 percent of its faculty have doctorate degrees and 42 percent have master’s degrees. The rest are working on their graduate studies. UP’s student population of over 50,000 thrives in the liberal atmosphere that is part of the tradition of a UP education. And UP graduates have become the country’s leaders in politics and governance, law, the sciences, and the arts.
Xavier University -Ateneo de Cagayan- Online
Founded in 1933 as a high school named Ateneo de Cagayan by Jesuit missionary Fr. James T.G. Hayes S.J., who later became the first bishop/archbishop of Cagayan de Oro, Ateneo de Cagayan has grown steadily through the years. A college department was added in 1938, with course offerings in liberal arts, education and commerce. The Grade School was started in 1940. Ateneo de Cagayan had 614 students when it was forced to close during World War II. Fr. Edward J. Haggerty S.J., school Rector, who served as a military chaplain during the war years and as Military Vicar for the U.S. Armed Forces from Borneo to Okinawa, wrote in his diary: "in fifteen minutes the American liberator bombers destroyed our labor of 15 years." POST-WAR RECONSTRUCTION... From the ruins, postwar reconstruction began immediately under the untiring leadership of Fr. Haggerty and Fr. Andrew Cervini S.J., who succeeded him as Rector, and with the assistance of many benefactors from the U.S. and locally. The College of Agriculture was started by Fr. William Masterson S.J. in 1953 and the College of Law and the Manresa farm in 1955. UNIVERSITY STATUS... In March 1958 the Ateneo de Cagayan received university status and its present name, Xavier University - Ateneo de Cagayan, in honor of St. Francis Xavier, Jesuit missionary to the Indies and companion of St. Ignatius Loyola, founder of the Society of Jesus. Fr. Francisco Araneta S.J., Rector when the Ateneo de Cagayan became a university, explained that the change of name "merely crystallized an old spirit that always had been the soul of all Ateneos, the spirit of learning and service, the spirit of purposeful scholarship."
Founded on August 1, 1900, by Don Mariano Fortunato Jhocson, the National University started as Colegio Filipino, the first private non-sectarian school in the country. Five years later, in response to the need of business, Commerce and Accounting courses were added. This brought a change in the name of the school to Colegio Mercantil. In 1913, English replaced Spanish as the medium of instruction and in accordance with Public Instruction Act 1459, Colegio Mercantil became one of the first private school incorporated and authorized to award diplomas to its graduates. Intensely nationalistic and conscious of his country’s need to train more leaders towards self-government, Don Mariano Fortunato Jhocson in collaboration with the Lacson brothers, established the Philippine Law School in 1915. This later became the College of Law. The Board of Trustees renamed Colegio Mercantil, National Academy and on August 1, 1916, the College of Liberal Arts was organized to blaze the trail toward the professional school. Thus, the College of Education and Commerce were established in 1921, Pharmacy and Dentistry in 1922, Engineering in 1925 and Normal school in 1930.
De La Salle University : Manila
For De La Salle University students and faculty members, My.LaSalle (MLS) serves as a personal conduit to all campus information, and a personal assistant in carrying out university-related transactions within DLSU. An authorized user must login to access the My.LaSalle portal, MLS readily recognizes the user as an active student or faculty member and displays the appropriate features or settings the user can access. Students can activate their Internet account and/or change password. They can also open their e-mails through the MLS portal and the best thing is, they can check their e-mails even from an Internet café without the need to actually dial up to the DLSU servers. To top it all, students can now enroll online! No more lining up at the Registrar's Office. They can enroll anywhere within their scheduled period, in their preferred course and section, provided it is still open. Students can always view the actual enrollment count per course and section. Even enrollment in the Lasallian Enrichment Alternative Program (LEAP) during University Week can be done online
Adamson University was founded in 1932 by the late Dr. George Lucas Adamson, together with his cousins, Alexander Adamson and George Athos Adamson. The initial efforts to guide the Adamson School of Industrial Chemistry were directed towards the developmental needs of the Philippines, notably in the areas of science and chemical technology. On February 5, 1941, the school was granted University status by the Department of Education. On December 4, 1964, the University was turned over to the Vincentian Fathers of the Congregation of the Mission ( CM ) and was incorporated into the Adamson Ozanam Education Institutions, Inc. As a Catholic University, it has gained a meaningful Christian presence in the academic world and as such, is actively involved in the development of people, especially the poor. Today, Adamson University has attained universal recognition as one of the leading institutions for Graduate Education, Laws, Arts, Sciences, Engineering, Pharmacy, Architecture, Business Administration, Teacher Education, and for Secondary, Elementary, and Pre-School Education.
University of the Philippines Manila
Perhaps in no other constituent university of the UP System is the history of UP more closely bound than in UP Manila, being its birthplace in June 1908 at the Ermita-Padre Faura campus. On this day, UP was established by Act 1870 of the Philippine Legislature to provide advanced instruction in literature, philosophy, science and arts and give professional and technical training to every qualified student. The current 10-hectare campus where UP Manila now stands was where the university spent its pioneering and formative years during the American colonial period. One of the first colleges that comprised the University was the College of Medicine (CM), which was enacted in 1905 as the Philippine Medical School. With UP's birth in 1908, the School was renamed College of Medicine and Surgery and included as one of the colleges. In 1907, Philippine Commission Act 1688 dated August 17 created the Philippine General Hospital and on September 1, 1910, the hospital opened its doors to the public with 300 beds. PGH was eventually linked formally with the CM, with its dean becoming the PGH director. The College of Public Health (CPH), College of Pharmacy (CP) and the College of Dentistry (CD) started as units of CM and eventually became full-fledged colleges in 1932, 1935 and 1948, respectively. Severely damaged by World War II, the university continued to hold classes in makeshift rooms. After the war, the university transferred to the Diliman campus in 1948, leaving behind CM, CPH and CD. In 1948, the Board of Regents established the College of Nursing following efforts exerted by visionary leaders of the nursing profession to create a school of nursing in UP. At the 894th meeting of the Board of Regents on October 28, 1977 and through Presidential Executive Order No. 519 dated January 24, 1979, the Health Science Center was created and recognized as an autonomous campus of the UP System. The Center primarily aimed to provide leadership in education, research and services that will redound to health care of the highest quality. The then existing units related to the health sciences constituted the Center, with the College of Arts and Sciences Manila transformed into a full-fledged unit and made part of the Center.
Silliman University, Dumaguete City, Oriental Negros, Philippines
It was immediately after the signing of the Treaty of Paris in 1898, by which Spain ceded the Philippines to the United States, that a retired businessman and philanthropist of Cohoes, New York, walked into the Manhattan office of the Board of Foreign Missions of the Presbyterian Church and presented a generous and totally unexpected proposal. The man, Dr. Horace Brinsmade Silliman, wanted to establish an industrial school for Filipino boys, and offered the sum of $10,000.Although the board secretary, reportedly, felt it was too early to think of opening something like a school in that remote part of the globe, the visitor’s interest remained in the Philippines. To Americans of zealous evangelical Christian sentiments, the relative swiftness with which the Philippines became a U.S. possession in 1898 served as an urgent invitation for them to come in to insure that a religious dimension, quite apart from political and military objectives, should be strongly felt in the administration of the new territory. Dr. David Sutherland Hibbard, a Presbyterian pastor of Lyndon, Kansas, who sailed with wife, Laura, was commissioned to make the exploratory trip to determine the best location for the third mission station (Manila was their first station, Iloilo, second), as well as for the proposed school. A suggestion offered him during his stopover at Cebu led him to Dumaguete on nearby Negros Island. Arriving in Dumaguete, he was greeted with the warmth and friendliness of the people. After meeting with the local folks and officials of Dumaguete, he went back to Manila convinced that he had found the right spot.
University of Santo Tomas
The University of Santo Tomas is the oldest existing university in Asia and in terms of student poulation, the largest Catholic university in the world located in one campus. It was founded on April 28, 1611 by the third Archbishop of Manila, Msgr. Miguel de Benavides, O.P., together with Frs. Domingo de Nieva and Bernardo de Santa Catalina. It was originally conceived as a school to prepare young men for the priesthood. Located within Intramuros, the Walled City, it was first called Colegio de Nuestra Señora del Santisimo Rosario and later renamed Colegio de Santo Tomas in memory of the foremost Dominican Theologian, Saint Thomas Aquinas. In 1624, the Colegio was authorized to confer academic degrees in Theology, Philosophy and Arts. On November 20, 1645 Pope Innocent X elevated the College to the rank of a university and in 1680, it was subsequently placed under royal patronage. In 1785, for the exceptional loyalty shown by the administration and students who volunteered to defend Manila against the British invasion, King Charles III granted it the title of "Royal University".
University of the Philippines Los Baños
The University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB), a coeducational, publicly funded academic, research and extension institution, is one of the six constituent universities of the University of the Philippines System. It started out as a College of Agriculture in 1909; and became a full-fledged university in 1972. It has emerged as a leading academic institution in Southeast Asia. UPLB is dedicated to advancing knowledge and educating students in science, technology, agriculture, forestry, veterinary medicine and other areas of scholarship that will best serve the Filipinos and the humanity in the 21st century. Its outstanding achievements in the basic and applied sciences are testaments to the great strides it has made for the past ninety years. The alumni continue to be the prime movers in academe, in government and in business. UPLB is organized into nine colleges -- Agriculture, Arts and Sciences, Development Communication, Economics and Management, Engineering and Agro-industrial Technology, Forestry and Natural Resources, Human Ecology, Public Affairs, and Veterinary Medicine -- and two schools -- Environmental Science and Management, and The Graduate School. Within these are degree-granting institutes, departments, programs, and divisions. In addition, a great deal of teaching, research and extension take place in interdisciplinary programs, laboratories, and centers whose works extend beyond traditional departmental boundaries. The UPLB Faculty and Administration consist of leaders in higher education, business and industry, science, engineering and other professions.
Ateneo de Davao University
Ateneo De Davao University is a premiere Filipino, Catholic and Jesuit University founded by the Philippine Province of the Society of Jesus in year 1948 which aims to establish a standard of excellence in academic and spiritual formation in various fields. While the Ateneo continuously endeavors to maintain a strong tradition of academic excellence, it also strives to realize its mission of being stronger in faith to God's ultimate plan. In this spirit of service, the different sectors of the Ateneo community reach out to others, living out the mission for the greater glory of God. Through various activities and alternative education programs, the Ateneo helps form young men and women into "persons-for-others". One significant innovation, which has been incorporated and institutionalized in the core courses, is the sectoral immersion program (Curriculum Integration Program) under the Social Involvement Coordinating Office (SICO). In this program, students live with specific communities, such as tribal folk, farmers and fishermen, street children and urban poor; and in prisons and resettlement sites. These immersions make possible a deeper understanding of the unique concerns of diverse sectors, a broader appreciation of the problems and dynamics of society, and finally, reflection aimed at identifying realopportunities for service and social transformation. The University is accredited by the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU) and Federation of Accrediting Associations of the Philippines (FAAP) - Level III for Arts and Sciences, Education, Commerce and Accounting, Engineering and Social Work. It enjoys an autonomous status (2000-2012) and Center of Development for Information Technology Education granted by the Commission on Higher Education of the Republic of the Philippines. It is also a charter member of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities in East Asia and Oceania.
Centro Escolar University
Centro Escolar University houses 12 buildings that are used in catering to the educational needs to an average of 20,000 students per year. Considered as one of the most stable institution in the country, the university has pursued academic excellence in its course offerings by continuously raising quality standards, upgrading facilities, updating curricula, and developing a highly professional and dynamic teaching force and university staff. All of the school programs have been accredited Levels 2 and 3 by the Federation of Accrediting Agencies of the Philippines (FAAP). These accreditations certify that these college programs have attained academic excellence in higher education specifically: reasonable high standard of instruction as manifested by the quality of its teachers, highly visible community extension programs, highly visible research tradition, strong staff development tradition, highly credible performance of graduates in licensure exams over the last three years, and existence of working consortia or linkages with other schools/agencies.
Far Eastern University
The University dates back to the founding of the Institute of Accountancy in 1928 by a group of eminent educators led by Dr. Nicanor Reyes Sr., then head of the Department of Economics of the University of the Philippines. With Dr. Reyes were Dr. Francisco Dalupan, Professors Antonio Aquino, Emmanuel Deymek and Clemente Uson, well-known educators from the U.P. Department of Economics. (Dr. Dalupan and Prof. Uson would later become FEU presidents themselves years after the founder's untimely demise). In 1930, it became the Institute of Accounts, Business and Finance. It was finally elevated to the rank of a University in 1934 - the Far Eastern University. From the initial 117 students, population grew to 11,000 just before the war. No less than then President Manuel L. Quezon hailed Dr. Reyes for blazing new trails. He called FEU "the best non-sectarian institution in the country." back to top 1919 Far Eastern College which offered courses in the liberal arts, was founded in Quiapo. 1928 The University dates back to the founding of the Institute of Accountancy by a group of eminent educators led by Dr. Nicanor Reyes Sr., then head of the Department of Economics of the University of the Philippines . With Dr. Reyes were Dr. Francisco Dalupan, Professors Antonio Aquino, Emmanuel Deymek and Clemente Uson, well-known educators from the U.P. Department of Economics. (Dr. Dalupan and Prof. Uson would later become FEU presidents themselves years after the founder's untimely demise). Dr. Reyes was unquestionably qualified for his pioneering venture. He earned an A.B. in 1915, a bachelor's degree in Commercial Science from New York University in 1917, and a M.A. in Business Administration from Columbia University the following year. He received his Ph.D. in Accountancy from Columbia - the first Filipino to do so, which was also the first degree of its kind to be awarded by Columbia . Dr. Reyes was a pioneer even as a student.
Manila Central University
The Manila Central University has a very humble beginning. In 1903, on the request of several students from the University of Sto. Tomas and other individuals, Dr. Alejandro Albert organized a private review class. This review class developed into the Escuela de Farmacia del Liceo de Manila in 1904, with Dr. Alejandro Albert, Alfredo L. Guerrero, Antonio C. Llamas, Feliciano Paterno and Filemon Tanchoco, all faculty members of the institution, as incorporators. This was the first educational institution of its kind established and managed by Filipinos. Its success demonstrated the undoubted capacity and ability of the Filipinos managing their own affairs in the educational field, especially then, when at that time of its initial organization it was barely 4 years after the establishment of the Philippine Educational System. The Manila College of Pharmacy became one of the leading institutions of higher learning of its kind. It produced many prominent pharmacists. Stable and secure in its position, the college expanded in number in 1929. Its Board of Trustees, answering a long felt need for the training of the youth for dental services, opened the College of Dentistry. Manila College of Pharmacy became then the Manila College of Pharmacy and Dentistry of pre-war time.
University of San Carlos
One of the top universities outside Manila, the University of San Carlos enjoys an environment free from the hustle and bustle that often distracts students in the capital. But the difference stops there. As the business and tourist hub of Southern Philippines, Metro Cebu provides Carolinians (as USC students are called) with a cosmopolitan setting where malls are just a few minutes away from the beaches, heritage towns, or mountain resorts. With its four campuses housing all levels of educational programs that include eight colleges and 27 departments, USC is truly a “universe-city” in its own right. International linkages and a steady influx of foreign students and visiting professors have made USC a multicultural academic community bonded by the common pursuit for global standards.
Angeles University Foundation
Angeles University Foundation, a non-stock, non-profit educational institution, was established on May 25, 1962 by Mr. Agustin P. Angeles, Dr. Barbara Y. Angeles and family. After only less than nine years of successful operation, the Institution was granted University status on April 16, 1971 by the Department of Education, Culture and Sports On December 4, 1975, the University was converted into a non-stock, non-profit educational foundation -- a decision of the founding family motivated by the sincere desire to perpetuate the missionary commitment of providing relevant and quality education to the Central Luzon region. Concomitant with this decision , the Angeles couple and their children, namely, Rosario, Lutgarda, Emmanuel, Antonio, Jesusa, Josefina and Lourdes executed a Deed of Donation of their shareholdings in favor of the foundation as starting fund which resulted to the relinquishment of their ownership and proprietary rights. AUF was incorporated under Republic Act No. 6055, otherwise known as the Foundation Law, and is a tax-exempt institution approved by the Philippine government. All donations and bequests given to the AUF are tax deductible. On February 14, 1978, AUF was converted into a Catholic University making it the first in Central Luzon. Another historical event that took place on February 20, 1990 was the inauguration of the five-storey, 125-bed AUF Medical Center which now serves as the teaching, training and research hospital, the first ever in Central Luzon. On October 27, 2003, AUF was granted autonomous status by CHED in recognition of its exemplary service to the community through the triad higher education functions of instruction, research and community service, thereby empowering it to function more independently. Now celebrating 45 successful years, AUF has a wide range of academic programs supported by state-of-the-art equipment and facilities, aimed at addressing the growing needs of the global academic community.
It blazed its trail out of the unification of distinct, independent public schools and colleges of reputable nature and long-standing existence in the Bicol region, until it rose as a staunch scholastic sanctuary - ever evolving, responding, and venturing into new terrains to become more than what it was then.. The Bicol University, a state University in Region V, was created on June 21, 1969 through the passage of Republic Act 5521 but was institutionally formalized on September 21, 1970 by virtue of Resolution No. 1 of its Board of Regents. For further readings click here. As a state university-with a combined land area of more than 1.7 million square meters andhas a total of 159 buildings-BU serves the educational needs of students all over the Bicol Region. Its enrolment at the undergraduate level accounts for 10 percent of the total enrolment in the province. To provide access and equity, scholarship grants and loan assistance are given to poor but deserving students. At present, Bicol University (BU) offers 67 degree programs with varying number of specializations. These are spread into 14 academic units: Agriculture and Forestry (CAF); Arts and Letters (CAL); Business, Economics and Management (CBEM); Education (CE); Engineering (CENG); Graduate School (GS); Industrial Technology (CIT); Nursing (CN); Open University (OU); Polangui Campus (PC); Science (CS); Social Sciences and Philosophy (CSSP); Tabaco Campus (TC); and the Institute of Physical Education, Sports and Recreation (IPESR). For further readings The highest policy-making body in the university is the Board of Regents, headed by a CHED commissioner. Members include the chairpersons of the education committees of both Enate and Congress, the university president, regional directors of the Department of Agriculture and the National Economic and Development Authority, faculty association president, alumni association president, University Student Council chairperson, and two representatives from the community. The president of the BU holds the rank SUC President IV and assisted by three Vice President: VPs for Administration, Academic Affairs, and Aroduction.
University of the East
The beginnings of the University can be traced back to a rented room on Dasmariñas St., Manila, where 110 students enrolled in Certified Public Accountant (CPA) review classes in September 1946, barely two months after the Philippines acquired its independence. The group of business educators led by Dr. Francisco T. Dalupan, Sr. that initiated the classes made it their objective to help the country, then still reeling from the effects of war. Out of the 110 students, four made it to top places in the CPA board examinations in 1947. Encouraged by their immediate success, Dr. Dalupan and his colleagues opened the Philippine College of Commerce and Business Administration (PCCBA) along R. Papa St. in Sampaloc, Manila, to 350 students in the summer of 1947. The following year, as more students enrolled and more academic units were organized, the PCCBA moved to what is now the main campus on Claro M. Recto Avenue . The graduates of PCCBA immediately dominated the government examinations of professional practice in accountancy. With this record, the PCCBA was granted permission by the government to establish other colleges. In rapid succession, the institution opened the Colleges of Liberal Arts, Business Administration, Dentistry and the Graduate School of Business Administration. The PCCBA was granted university status on July 3, 1951 and was renamed the University of the East, with Dr. Dalupan as President and Chairman of the Board of Trustees. The first members of the Board were Herminigildo B. Reyes, businessman, scholar and former Vice President of the University of the Philippines; Santiago F. de la Cruz, CPA and business executive who later succeeded Dr. Dalupan as President; Jose L. Torres, soldier, businessman and accountant; and Jaime Hernandez, former Secretary of Finance.
University of the Philippines Open University
The University of the Philippines Open University (UPOU) was established on 23 February 1995 as the fifth constituent university of the University of the Philippines System. Its mandate is to provide education opportunities to individuals aspiring for higher education and improved qualifications but who are unable to take advantage of traditional modes of education. Specifically, the UPOU provides quality higher and continuing education to Filipinos through distance education. Its mission is to give its students formal qualification, as well as to develop in them the discipline and capability to become lifelong learners who are at home in today's knowledge society. The goals of the UPOU are to: Offer through open and distance learning degree and non-degree programs that are responsive to the needs of learners and of the society of which they are a part; Develop a system of continuing education to sustain professional growth and promote lifelong learning; Develop and adapt delivery systems appropriate to distance learners; Provide leadership in the development of open learning and distance education expertise in the country and in the appropriate use of information and communication technologies of education; and Make instructional packages accessible to various publics through collaborative arrangements, institutional agreements, and other appropriate mechanisms. The Commission on Higher Education (CHEd) has declared the UPOU the National Center of Excellence in Open Learning and Distance Education in recognition of its achievements in this field and its vital role in pushing the frontiers of learning in service to the Filipino nation.
The Philippine Women's University
On June 9, 1919, what would eventually be the Philippine Women's University opened its first classes. The vision of seven forward-looking Filipino women—Clara Aragon, Concepcion Aragon, Francisca Tirona Benitez, Paz Marquez Benitez, Carolina Ocampo Palma, Mercedes Rivera and Socorro Marquez Zaballero—the nascent university had an initial enrollment of 190 students. The goal was to prepare young Filipino women for a life of service and leadership. The original site was a three-storey house on A. Flores Street, Ermita, Manila. In 1932, thirteen years after opening, the college achieved university status, becoming henceforth The Philippine Women's University and thus the first university for women in Asia founded by Asians. Two years later, 1934, the University moved to its present site on Taft Avenue. Historically, the university is credited with a number of 'firsts' and pioneering innovations. Some of the 'firsts' came before the school earned university status. The organization of the Student Council, the first such council in a Philippine private school, in 1922. Pharmacy in 1924. Business Administration, four-year course in a private school in 1926. Home Economics as a bachelor's degree course in a private school in 1928. The Graduate School in 1931. The tradition of educational innovation continued after elevation to University status. Child Development Center and Social and Civic training in 1938, the latter evolving into the present MSCED (Moral, Social and Civic Education) course required at all levels in all courses and disciplines as a hallmark of PWU education. The College of Music and Fine Arts in 1947. The Institute of Human Relations and the Family Life Workshop of the Philippines in 1948. The Community College, first late afternoon and evening school for working women, in 1949. The Philippine School of Social Work in 1950. Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education in 1952.
Benguet State University
This 90-year old school is nestled in the heart of La Trinidad, Benguet the strawberry capital of the Philippines . Its history dates back to the time when the Baguio-La Trinidad road was only a rough horse trail in 1916. That was the year when the La Trinidad Experiment Station of the Bureau of Agriculture was turned over to the Bureau of Education. By this turn of events, the La Trinidad Farm School was opened with 30 pupils in Grade V. This development trail blazed the school's metamorphosis, as it expanded its services and heightened its prominence in the area. According to earlier reports, the Farm School was planned ultimately to develop into a large normal school, where the best Igorot pupils will be given special training for the service as teachers among their own people with emphasis on agricultural education. In 1946, the school became the La Trinidad Agricultural High School. Four years later, a provincial normal curriculum was added to its agricultural education program. The said curriculum was abolished in 1953 and a two-year post high school certificate in agricultural education was offered. The school was renamed La Trinidad National Agricultural School (LTNAS). Four months later, it was nationalized and named the Mountain National Agricultural School (MNAS). It was soon converted into the Mountain National College (MNAC); Mountain Agricultural College ( MAC ); and eventually, the Mountain State Agricultural College (MSAC) in 1969 through RA 5923. On January 12, 1986 , the College was converted to a state university by virtue of Presidential Decree (PD) No. 2010 signed by President Ferdinand E. Marcos. Initiatives for this development started in the 70's when former Assemblyman Andres A. Cosalan filed a bill for the elevation of the Mountain State Agricultural College to a University
University of Batangas
The University of Batangas, a stock non- sectarian, private educational institution, believes in the pursuit of knowledge, values and skills necessary for the preservation and improvement of the Philippine society. It has faith in the dignity of the human person, in the democratic process, in the reward for individual excellence, and in the freedom of the person to worship God according to conscience. Thus, the institution believes that the development of the individual as a person and a worker is an effective means in building a better family, community and nation, and a better world.
Polytechnic University of the Philippines
The history of PUP may well parallel the nation's growth and development. As it met the needs of a fledgling Philippine civil service under American rule forged from anvil of Spanish colonialism, so will it serve the rising expectations of the people in the 21st century...desirous now of reclaiming their rightful place in the community of independent nations. As it has withstood the test of time, so will it continue to pace contemporary Philippine history. Here are the highlights of its growth from a mere business school with an itinerant existence to the country's largest state university. Click upon the timeline link provided below to proceed with the specific part of the PUP history timeline. 1904-1951 Take a journey to the University's humble beginnings as it started being a Business School. 1952-1971 This period covers the time where the Business School became a College whose main thrust is in Commerce. 1972-1985 The Institution's transformation from a College into a University happened during these period. 1986-1990 This period brought about a dramatic change in the University firming its commitment to the role of education as an equalizing factor. 1991-1999 To keep pace with changing conditions, the University underwent continuous change in this period. 2000-present A transition point as the University heads for the future, grasps new and emerging technologies, and prepares itself to become globally competitive.
UNIVERSITY OF PANGASINAN
The University of Pangasinan started operation in 1925 as the Dagupan Institute. It was founded by the late Dean Francisco Benitez of the University of the Philippines, who became the chairman of the Board of Directors, the late Dr. Apolinario delos Santos who was then President of the University of Manila; the late Dr. Mariano delos Santos, then Dean of Faculty of the University of Manila; Dr. Sylvestre Pascual, and the late Dr. Blas F. Rayos, then Dean of the College of Education of the University of Manila. Dr. Rayos became the President of the school and headed it for 45 years until 1975 when he passed away and was succeeded by his son, George O. Rayos, who sat as president of the institution until 1987. The Dagupan Institute officially opened with elementary, secondary and vocational courses as initial programs. These courses were granted recognition in 1927 by the Department of Public Instruction Associate of Arts and BAchelor of Arts were opened in 1937 and Education in 1941. Also in 1941, theDagupan Institute was renamed the Dagupan Junior Colleges. Its smooth operation was interrupted by the outbreak of World War II in December 1941. It resumed operation in 1945 and offered new programs soon after, namely; Engineering, Law, Home Economics, Nursing, Commerce, Master of Arts in Education major in school administration, general education, guidance and elementary education, and new majors in the bachelors degree in Education
University of San Agustin: Virtus et Scientia
Founded in 1904 by the Augustinian Friars under the inspiration of St. Augustine, Doctor and Father of the Church, the University of San Agustin (USA) has continued the rich legacy of scholarship exemplified by St. Augustine, the Library of the Church; Fr. Johann Gregor Mendel, O.S.A., the First Geneticist; and Fr. Manuel Blanco, O.S.A., author of Flora de Filipinas. The total development of the human person through a Christian and Augustinian educational system in consonance with the goals expressed in the Constitution of the Philippines; and The well-integrated educational program for the youth through instruction, research and community service. Specifically, the University aims to: Nurture the Augustinian spirit of community among its members; Provide religious instruction and opportunities for spiritual growth; Offer relevant curricula in various fields of knowledge; Develop human resource programs to improve personnel competence and quality of life; Involve itself in and promote researches; Establish community development programs; Provide varied student and personnel services; and Foster appreciation and love for culture and the arts.
ESTABLISHED IN JULY 4, 1949... On Independence Day, exactly three years after the establisment of the Philippine Nation, Foundation College was an institution envisioned to attract, in Dr. Sinco's words, "Men and Women from all conditions of life, whose only passport is intellectual competence; whose pursuit is excellence in mind, body and character, and whose quest is for truth and freedom." And as he later recalled, "The College's primary duty was to contribute to the overall national program of development - because its constituents, the Filipinos, were then in the process of preparing themselves for work and participation in the activities of their country and the world community." When founded, the College had a three-fold function, — instruction, research, and community action. The success of this mission was recognized in 1963, when Foundation College received international recognition and was invited to become a member of the International Association of Universities. The College was the first institution in the Visayas and Mindanao to receive this honor, and the first institution in the world that was not a full university to become a member of this organization.
Cebu Normal University
With the arrival of the Thomasites, the civilian American teachers, on August 21, 1901, primary schools were formally established throughout the country. 1901 was also the year when the Philippine Normal School was established. Provincial normal schools on the secondary level were established as branches of the Philippine Normal School. Among these normal schools were those in Vigan, Nueva Caceres in Bicol, Iloilo, Cebu and Cagayan de Misamis. It was also in 1902 when the American Teachers Institute was held in Cebu, most probably in the building which housed the Cebu Normal School. In 1906, with the establishment of Cebu High School, whose building was constructed on the site of the present Abellana National School, the CNS curriculum was lengthened to four years. CNS occupied a building beside the CHS, with the students sharing teachers (especially the Americans) with the CHS students. John Barrows, the Acting Superintendent of Schools for Cebu Province, became its Principal.
FEATI will be a leading knowledge center in the country to create and advance new ideas. We will foster an environment to enable faculty, students, all personnel and alumni to become responsible, life-long learners and transformed individuals committed to service of God, the world, country, and family. Mission Statement FEATI University will accomplish its vision by: Promoting basic and applied research and development Generating innovative technologies Teaching creatively to develop critical-thinking abilities Inspiring students to achieve full academic, research, and spiritual potentials in the arts, sciences, technology, and humanities.
In our history lives the spirit of two men who chose to excel. Jose C. Olivares, a professor at the University of the Philippines and Ateneo who had the makings of an entrepreneur. Vicente M. Santos, a young physician raring to change the world. In 1967 they built a 20-bed general hospital and changed the landscape of education forever. For from this humble beginnings rose a School of Nursing whose pioneering batch of 180 students passed the 1976 nursing board examinations with an unprecedented 100% passing mark. Truly a defining moment that fuelled the rise of Fatima to the institution it is today. Now Our Lady of Fatima University stands proud as one of the country’s most distinguished centers for learning graduating some of the most distinguished centers for learning graduating some of the most promising young men and women in the country. Thanks to two men who simply chose to excel. MISSION/VISION To improve man as man by developing individuals through a legacy of excellent education and compassionate value formation. The noble dictum “Improving Man as Man” embodies the existence of Fatima Medical Science Foundation, Inc. and Our Lady of Fatima University as educational institutions dedicated to the holistic formation of men and women imbued with necessary skills, virtues and academics development.
Students in this University courageously take on the challenge of soulful effort towards total person development by availing of the services offered within the campus from academic advising, individualized counseling, tutorial and job placement both locally and internationally. Anybody who meets a graduate of this university finds a person imbibed with cultural values and sensitivity through: instruction, research and extension. Because, the CU community is a fertile ground for the development of lifelong learning by doing through a balance of analysis and creativity facilitated with competence. Come, and be infected by an institution founded on love and a dedication to the furtherance of wisdom through the continuous pursuit of knowledge and good deeds in the spirit of brotherhood and kinship. VISION The improvement of the Quality of Life of our people continues to be the primordial concern of Capitol University as it seeks to develop the youth's full potential and positive values in a learner-centered and globally competitive teaching-learning environment. MISSION Capitol University is committed to develop the youth into "Total Persons", mature and responsible individuals who are intellectually, professionally, and technically competent, imbued with desirable attitudes, and steeped in moral and spiritual values, who will serve as catalyst for social transformation