Daugavpil Pedagogical University
Daugavpils University is situated in south-east part of Latvia. It was founded in 1921, and at that time called The Teachers’ Seminar, however, in 1923 it was renamed as Daugavpils State Teachers' Institute. In 1952 the State Teachers' Institute was reorganized into a higher educational establishment - The Daugavpils Pedagogical Institute and in February 1993 The Pedagogical Institute, taking into account its learning and scientific potential was conferred the status of a University. On October 13th, 2001 Daugavpils Pedagogical University was renamed as Daugavpils University. It is the second biggest state university in Latvia.
Mission: University of Latvia is a guarantee for the development of Latvia. University of Latvia integrates diverse fields of research and studies with creative iniative to provide the higher education of European standard, to cultivate the Latvian language and traditions of cultural coorperation.
The aim of Rezekne University is to provide academic and professional higher education in compliance with the science development level and cultural traditions of Latvia being competitive in the European education space; to develop culture, science and education in Latgale region and thus in the whole Latvia.
Transport and Telecommunication Institute
Transport and Telecommunication Institute (TTI) (Latvian: Transporta un Sakaru Instit?ts, TSI) (Russian: (previously known as RCAII and Riga Aviation University) — is the largest university-type accredited non-state technical higher education establishment in Latvia. Main academic activities: higher education, training courses, vocational training. Main directions of academic activities: Electronics and Telecommunications, Information Technologies and Computer Science, Management and Business Administration, Economics, Transport and Logistics. Almost 4000 students are studying nowadays at the Institute.
Rigas Tehniska Universitate
The history of Riga Technical University dates back to 14 October 1862 with the establishment of the Riga Polytechnic (RP), which was the first multi-branch technical tertiary education establishment in the former Russian Empire. The RP was established following the model of the most progressive technical higher schools of that time. As a private educational establishment it was financially supported by the Baltic nobility. The RP originally incorporated six departments: Engineering, Chemistry, Agriculture, Mechanics, Commerce, and Architecture. Admission was open only to male students for a tuition fee, irrespective of nationality, religion or social status. There were no entrance examinations. The language of instruction was German.
The Top ten scientific developments in Latvia in 2006 have been named by the Latvian Academy of Sciences. The list of Latvian Science’s Top 10 of 2006 was made thoroughly considering the suggestions submitted by the universities, research institutes and centers.