Addis Ababa University
Addis Ababa University (AAU) is the oldest higher educational institution in Ethiopia. AAU started its operation in 1950 under the name University College of Addis Ababa. It was renamed Haile Selassie I University in 1962 and then Addis Ababa University in 1975. AAU runs Diploma, Bachelors, MD, DVM, Masters, Speciality Certificate and PhD degree programs. It launched its first MSc programs in 1979 and its first PhD programs in 1987.
Alemaya University is located about 510 Km from Addis Ababa in the Eastern Hararghe Zone at a distance of about 20 km and 40 km from the two nearby towns: Harar and Dire Dawa respectively. The University overlooks the beautiful lake Alemaya from which it derives its renowned name. Currently, the University is running 30 programs at PhD, MSc, BSc and Diploma levels. In a short time, the University has established an internationally recognized .The very idea of establishing a college education in Ethiopia started in late 1940s and the beginning of 1950s, particularly in March 1950, following the plans put forward by the then Ministry of Education of Ethiopia in December 1949. The first College classes in the country commenced on December 11, 1950 in the then University College of Addis Ababa, (UCAA), which initially intended to offer a two-year program, but gradually developed in to a full-fledged four-year college in July 1954. The noble idea of developing high level manpower in agricultural sciences and technology was also felt to be of utmost urgency for the dominantly agrarian Ethiopian society. In this connection, the then Imperial Ethiopian Board of Education decided early in 1952 to start a four-year degree program in agricultural education.
Arbaminch Water Technology Institute
The Arbaminch Water Technology Institute (AWTI) was first established in 1986 with the general objectives of promoting the advancement of water resources development, environmental protection, civil construction industries, and small & large scale agricultural-led industries. With an area of about 200 hectares, the Institute is located at a very conspicuous site, five kilometers north of Arbaminch, the capital of North Omo Region, 505 Kilometers south of Addis Ababa. The average temperature is 300C and 575 mm of annual rainfall. Situated in the Great Rift Valley, AWTI naturally enjoys the presence of Abaya and Chamo lakes, together with the ''Forty Springs'' and the Netch Sar National park, just a few kilometers away.
Bahir Dar University
Bahir Dar University is found in Bahir Dar Town, the capital of the Amhara National Regional State. The town is located at the southern shore of Lake Tana, the largest lake in the country. The area within which Bahir Dar is situated is endowed with immense scenic beauty and outstanding natural and cultural wealth. Lake Tana is full of abundant fish and other aquatic resources. Its water provides possibilities of recreation for tourist both from the locality and distant places. The historic churches and monasteries that are found in the islands and headlands of the lake are the mysterious hiding places of religious and cultural treasures of the country. The immense natural beauty and outstanding cultural and natural resources of the area have contributed to the emergence of the town of Bahir Dar as the political center of the region. Today Bahir Dar is one of the fastest growing towns in the country. The establishment of Bahir Dar University owes a lot to two former higher institutions. The Bahir Dar Polytechnic Institute, which formed one of the faculties of the University, was established in 1963 under the technical cooperation between the Government of USSR and the Imperial Government of Ethiopia. The objective of the institute was to train skilled technicians in the fields of Agro-Mechanics, Industrial Chemistry and Metal, Textile and Wood Technologies. The Institute had to undergo number of program changes within the area of technology until the commencement of the Engineering degree program 1996. Throughout these program changes, the institute did all what it could to supply the labor market with the best technicians who are now running most of the businesses in the industrial, educational, agricultural and other sectors.
The Gondar College of Medical Sciences is located in Gondar, once the capital city of Ethiopia in the North-western part of the country. The college is the oldest health professional training institute in Ethiopia, first established as Public Health College in 1954. The concept, which led to the establishment of the college, was based upon the immediate felt needs for health services in rural Ethiopia. The country had at that time very limited health service facilities and trained manpower where health services were very inadequate. To meet this urgent demand in as short time as possible, a training program of rather unique nature was devised. It was for the implementation of this programme that the college was established. The purpose was, in brief, to educate the required categories of health workers in a manner, which would adopt them to tackle the problems relevant to the health needs of rural Ethiopia. The training programs for three categories of health workers were organised in such a way that, by the time of graduation, the health professionals working in teams, would be ready to staff rural Health Centres all over the empire. These health teams, under the leadership of the health officers, were to form the nucleus of health services in Ethiopia. Upon graduation, the team members were assigned to Health Centres as qualified health workers, each in her/his respective area of competence. Judged from the actual performance of the health centre units and from the appreciation of the population in all parts of Ethiopia, it was once stated that no other single institution in Ethiopia of that time has produced graduates that have fitted well in to the immediate felt needs of the country as has this college.
Jimma University aspires to be the best leading developmental university in Africa that produces competent professionals responsive to societal needs. Jimma University is a center of academic excellence integrating training, research and service. The University trains higher caliber professionals at diploma, graduate and post-graduate levels through its cherished and innovative community-based (CBTP), team based (TTP) and research based (SRP) educational approach.The university is making every endeavour to address societal needs and promote holistic and sustainable Jimma University has Accademic and Administrative staffs. The adminstrative section has four major departments under it. These are:- Department of Finance Department of Human Resources Department of Purchasing and supplies Engneering and maintenance
Mekelle University is located in Northern Ethiopia (Mekelle, Tigray), at a distance of 783 kilometers from the Ethiopian capital city, Addis Ababa. Mekelle University was established in may 2000 by the Govermentof Ethiopia (Council of Ministers, Regulations No. 61/1999 of Article 3) as an autonomous higher education institution having its own legal personality. The merger of the two former colleges created the University: Mekelle Business College and Mekelle University College. The two colleges have had their own historical developments after beginning from scratch, and have also experienced many ups and downs, with relocations from place to place.