UNIVERSITIES CZECH REPUBLIC

Universities Czech Republic
OstaMyy.Com


Afghanistan Albania Algeria Andorra Angola Antigua And Barbuda Argentina Armenia Australia Austria Azerbaijan Bahamas Bahrain Bangladesh Barbados Belarus Belize Benin Bermuda Bhutan Bolivia Bosnia And Herzegovina Botswana Brazil Brunei Bulgaria Burkina Faso Burma Burundi Cambodia Cameroon Canada Cape Verde Central African Republic Chad Chile China Colombia Congo Costa Rica Croatia Cuba Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Djibouti Dominica Dominican Republican East Timor Ecuador Egypt El Salvador England Eritrea Estonia Ethiopia Fiji Finland France Gabon Gambia Georgia Germany Ghana Greece Greenland Grenada Guatemala Guinea Guyana Haiti Honduras Hong kong Hungary Iceland India Indonesia Iran Iraq Israel Italy Ivory Coast Jamaica Japan Jordan Kazakhstan Kenya Kuwait Kyrgyzstan Laos Latvia Lebanon Lesotho Liberia Libya Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Macau Macedonia Madagascar Malawi Malaysia Maldives Mali Malta Marshall Islands Mauritania Mauritius Mexico Micronesia Moldova Monaco Mongolia Morocco Mozambique Namibia Nepal Netherlands New Zealand Niger Nigeria North Korea Norway Oman Pakistan Palau Panama Papua New Guinea Paraguay Philippines Poland Portugal Qatar Russia Sao Tome And Principe Saudi Arabia Serbia And Montenegro Seychelles Slovenia Somalia South Africa Spain Srilanka Sudan Suriname Swaziland Sweden Switzerland Syria Taiwan Tajikistan Tanzania Thailand Togo Tonga Trinidad And Tobago Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan Uganda Ukraine United Arab Emirates Uruguay USA Uzbekistan Vanuatu Vatican City Venezuela Vietnam Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe



UNIVERSITIES CZECH REPUBLIC


MASARYK UNIVERSITY  
Masaryk University, located in Brno, is the second-largest public university in the Czech Republic and the leading higher education institution in Moravia. At present it comprises nine faculties with more than 200 departments, institutes and clinics. Recognized as one of the most important teaching and research institutions in the Czech Republic and a highly-regarded Central European university, it has been marked by a strong democratic spirit ever since its establishment in 1919. The university also plays a major role in the social and cultural life of the South Moravia Region. One of the top priorities for Masaryk University is scientific research. It has attained a leading position in competitions for research grants, is making considerable financial investments at its new university campus to enhance its research and teaching capacity and is developing tools for the transfer of knowledge and improved support for research and innovation

CHARLES UNIVERSITY  
Charles University founded in 1348 is one of the oldest universities in the world and nowadays belongs to the most eminent educational and scientific establishments in the Czech Republic which are recognized in both the European and global context. It is an outstanding cultural institution due to its scientific and pedagogical results and its unique historical tradition. Charles University now contains 17 faculties (14 in Prague, 2 in Hradec Králové, and 1 in Plze?), 3 collegiate institutes, 6 additional establishments for educational, scientific, research and developmental activities and other creative activities and for information service, 5 university-wide facilities and the vice-chancellor´s/ rector´s office as an executive establishment for Charles University management. There are more than 7000 University employees, 4000 of them are academic and research workers.

CZECH TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY  
Engineering education has a long tradition in the Czech lands. One of its founders, Christian Joseph Willenberg, addressed a petition to Emperor Leopold I. in January 1705, asking permission to begin teaching engineering sciences. Leopold's son, Emperor Joseph I., who succeeded his father on Habsburg throne, responded to this request on 18th January 1707 with a decree in which he ordered the Czech general Estates to found an engineering school in Prague [Rescript of the Emperor Joseph I]. Willenberg began teaching in his private flat with only 12 students. However, the number of students grew rapidly and reached more than 200 in 1779. Willenberg's successor was Jan Ferdinand Schor, author of the textbook on mathematical sciences taught at the Institute.





UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY BRNO  
The Czech Technical University was founded in 1899. Over the than a hundred years of its existence the number of study areas have increased and at present the Brno University of Technology, as the only technical university in the Czech Republic, covers the whole spectrum of technical disciplines: mechanical engineering Faculty of Mechanical Engineering civil engineering Faculty of Civil Engineering electrical engineering Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Communication informatics Faculty of Information Technology chemistry and chemical engineering Faculty of Chemistry economics and management Faculty of Business and Management architecture Faculty of Architecture design and fine arts Faculty of Fine Arts

UNIVERSITY OF WEST BOHEMIA  
The University of West Bohemia (UWB) was established by the decree of the Czech National Council in 1991 when the Institute of Technology in Pilsen and the College of Education were merged. The Institute of Technology was founded in 1949 as a branch of the Czech Technical University in Prague. In 1953 it became an independent institution and began to grow rapidly. In 1960 it was divided into two faculties - the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and the Faculty of Electrical Engineering. For the greater part of its existence the Institute provided courses for students preparing for careers in mechanical and electrical engineering. Two new faculties - the Faculty of Applied Sciences and the Faculty of Economics - were established in 1990, a few months after the Velvet Revolution. The University of West Bohemia in Pilsen is the only institution of higher education in this part of the country which prepares students for careers in engineering (electrical and mechanical), science (computer science, applied mathematics, physics, mechanics), education (for both primary and secondary school teachers in a wide range of subjects), fine arts, economics, humanities (philosophy, sociology, foreign languages, social and cultural anthropology, archaeology), law and public administration.

UNIVERSITY OF ECONOMICS PRAGUE  
The University of Economics, Prague (Vysoká škola ekonomická v Praze) is the leading university in the field of management and economics in the Czech Republic. The University of Economics, Prague has six faculties - five in Prague and one in Jind?ich?v Hradec in South Bohemia. These include: the Faculty of Finance and Accounting, the Faculty of International Relations, the Faculty of Business Administration, the Faculty of Statistics and Informatics and the Faculty of Economics and Public Administration. The faculty based in Jind?ich?v Hradec is specialized in management. VŠE is composed of about 15 500 students who are served by more than 650 academic staff as well as about 500 non-academic staff. Sixty-one percent of VŠE professors have doctoral degrees in their field.

TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY OSTRAVA  
Technical University of Ostrava – is the fourth oldest institution of higher learning in the Czech Republic. Its predecessor was the Mining School in P?íbram which came into existence by the emperor’s decree in 1849. In 1945, the Mining University moved to Ostrava and since than it has been paying a key role in the development and restructuring of Northern Moravia and Silesia. At the beginning of the 21st century VŠB-Technical University of Ostrava is undergoing dynamic development both in the process of education and in the research and development activities carried out in cooperation with the industrial and business sphere. Nowadays, with over 19,000 students studying bachelor, master and doctoral accredited programs at seven faculties, the school is the fourth largest university in the Czech Republic.

PALACKY UNIVERSITY  
Palacký University, Olomouc was re-established by the Act of the Interim National Assembly, passed on February 21, 1946. It followed up with the tradition of the old Olomouc university, which was established in 1573 and closed in 1860. Therefore the Olomouc University can justly be considered the second oldest university in Bohemia, Moravia and Silesia. At present the Palacký University, Olomouc is formed by seven faculties: St. Cyril and Methodius Faculty of Theology, Faculty of Medicine, Philosophical Faculty, Pedagogical Faculty, Faculty of Science, Faculty of Physical Culture and Faculty of Law. Approximate number of students is 17 600.

POLICE ACADEMY OF THE CZECH REPUBLIC  
Welcome. You have just opened the initial page of the web server of the Ministry of Interior of the Czech Republic offering a description of the main sections in English. Since the web server of the Ministry of Interior is very extensive, only some of the foreign-language texts are available in their entirety. These are referred to by small labels with abbreviations.


Etsintäpalvelu


UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH BOHEMIA  
The city has a population of 100,000 and lies on the rivers Vltava and Malše, in the center of southern Bohemia and the South Bohemian Region. This is where the University of South Bohemia (founded in 1991) is located and it is made up of several schools - Pedagogical, Theological, Agricultural, the school of Public Health, as well as the Institute of History. The oldest part of the university came into existence soon after World War II. The university has some 8500 students and approximately 1500 teaching and non-teaching staff. The University of South Bohemia is thus the natural center of culture and education in the south of Bohemia, and also attracts the intelligentsia from other parts of the Republic, because the teaching faculty includes experts from other places (Prague, Brno, Pilsen). There are also foreign pedagogues teaching there - in particular lecturers from such countries as Germany, Austria, Great Britain, USA, France, Belgium, Spain, etc. The students also come from all over the Czech Republic, as well as from abroad. Outstanding research is done, above all, in the department of Czech studies, the Historical institute, the School of Biology or the Institute of Physical Biology at Nové Hrady. These workplaces have been for several years rated among the best in the Czech Republic and they cooperate with scientific institutions abroad (Germany, Italy, France, Denmark, Austria, Great Britain, USA, etc.).

TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY OF LIBEREC  
The history of the Technical University of Liberec goes back to 1953 when the Technical College of Mechanical Engineering was established. The foundation of the University was a logical result of the long-term economic and cultural development of the region where textile and textile machinery products had been traditional. From the start the College offered academic programmes in areas of Mechanical Technology, the Design and Construction of Textiles, Glass and Ceramics Machinery etc. The first Halls of Residence and University canteen were constructed between 1955 and 1960. In 1960, the College was divided into two faculties: the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and the Faculty of Textile Engineering. Between 1990 and 1995, another four faculties were founded: the Faculty of Education (in 1990), the Faculty of Economics (1992), the Faculty of Architecture (1994) and the Faculty of Mechatronics and Interdisciplinary Engineering Studies (1995). On 1st January 1995, the College gained the status of a university and became the Technical University of Liberec. Today, the University has an enrollment of more than 5,000 full-time students in six faculties: Faculty of Mechanical Engineering Faculty of Textile Engineering Faculty of Education Faculty of Economics Faculty of Architecture Faculty of Mechatronics and Interdisciplinary Studies

CZECH UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE  
Czech University of Life Sciences (formerly of Agriculture) celebrated its anniversary in 2006. Let´s note briefly some of the most important facts. As early as in 1776, lectures in economic sciences were introduced at the Faculty of Philosophy of the University in Prague. In 1812 the Chair of Economy was associated with the Czech Polytechnics on the basis of the Court Decree of 17th December. The first lectures in forestry sciences were launched in autumn 1848. The history proper of our University started with the establishment of the Agricultural Department at the Czech Technical University (CVST) in 1906 by the Decree of Emperor Franz Joseph as of 26th October. An outstanding agricultural expert Professor Stoklasa was appointed Dean. The studies took four years and the establishment of the department was the fulfillment of many years of efforts towards the establishment of a Czech agricultural school of higher learning. Since its very beginning (1906/07) the school was very active, not least due to the devotion of both the lecturers and the students. The World War I, however, slowed its development down slightly but the nation´s liberation and the foundation of an independent state contributed substantially to the school´s prosperity.

INSTITUTE OF CHEMICAL TECHNOLOGY  
The INSTITUTE OF CHEMICAL TECHNOLOGY was founded in 1952, but its roots date back to 1807 when the first course in chemistry was delivered at the Prague Polytechnic. The reorganization of the polytechnic in 1920 resulted in the transformation of the chemical department into the School of Chemical Technology, one of the seven sections of the Czech Technical University. The Institute of Chemical Technology, Prague (ICT) is the biggest educational institution of its kind in Central Europe. Its tradition of almost 200 years combined with progressive fields of study and a good international repute allows every student to get in touch with advanced technologies and make use of foreign student exchanges, and it offers a prospect of a prestigious and highly remunerative professional career both in the Czech Republic and abroad

TOMAS BATA UNIVERSITY  
Tomas Bata University in Zlín is a new and dynamic university offering a wide range of degree courses that give students the opportunity to study humanities, natural sciences, technology and arts. It is one of the top-ranking research and development centres in the Czech Republic and, in many respects, it is highly regarded abroad. Its graduates at all degree levels are issued with the Diploma Supplement, which is recognized throughout Europe. Its main purpose is to facilitate graduates' position in the European labour market.

UNIVERSITY OF PARDUBICE  
The University of Pardubice has been extending more than fifty-five year-long tradition of higher education in the city of Pardubice. The Chemical College, later known for 40 years as the Institute of Chemical Technology, was founded in Pardubice in 1950 to answer the needs of the East-Bohemian region, which had a highly developed chemical industry, yet lacked professionally trained specialists in this field. After the year 1990, the character of the Institute changed, new faculties were founded offering a wide range of study programmes not only chemistry-related. Since 1994, the new name - the University of Pardubice has been used. The University of Pardubice is one of the 26 public higher education institutions in the Czech Republic, and the only higher university-type educational institution in Pardubice region. Its educational, scientific, research and development activities are realized with accordance to the Higher Education Act No. 111/1998, and towards the European Higher Education and Research Area.

SILESIAN UNIVERSITY  
You are here: Silesian University Dear visitors, the Silesian University in Opava is a member of the European University Association, it participates in the Sixth Framework Programme and various international programmes of development, it cooperates with 24 partner institutions of higher education in Europe, Asia and Africa, it highly develops bilateral cooperation within the frameworks of various intergovernmental agreements, primarily with the partners from Poland, Slovakia, Austria, Germany and Hungary, Turkey, Russia, Lithuania, Ukraine, Vietnam. These web pages primarily contain general information on university. If more detailed information needed, please refer to the web pages of individual parts Structure, if need be, contact International Office directly Contact information . For information on history and important events refer to the section About University and Silesia. Those interested in studies here may refer to web pages Relations, Admission and Students. Silesian University in Opava cooperates with 24 partner institutions of higher education. Their list can be found at Partner Institutions

OSTRAVA UNIVERSITY  
Technical University of Ostrava – is the fourth oldest institution of higher learning in the Czech Republic. Its predecessor was the Mining School in P?íbram which came into existence by the emperor’s decree in 1849. In 1945, the Mining University moved to Ostrava and since than it has been paying a key role in the development and restructuring of Northern Moravia and Silesia. At the beginning of the 21st century VŠB-Technical University of Ostrava is undergoing dynamic development both in the process of education and in the research and development activities carried out in cooperation with the industrial and business sphere. Nowadays, with over 19,000 students studying bachelor, master and doctoral accredited programs at seven faculties, the school is the fourth largest university in the Czech Republic.

MENDEL UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE AND FORESTRY BRNO  
Mendel University of Agriculture and Forestry in Brno can pride itself on the longest history of agriculture and forestry studies on the Czech lands. It was established in 1919 as the University of Agriculture in Brno and it maintained this name till 1994. Its constitution completed the longterm effort to institute an agricultural unversity in Moravia, which has, from time immemorial, held an important post among the countries with the most developed agricultures in the central Europe. Since its establishment it has undergone a range of structural as well as curricular changes, and provided top quality education to more than 20,000 agricultural engineers, 6,500 forestry engineers and 5,500 engineers of economics in order to assert themselves in a variety of spheres of the national economy and the economic practice.

PURKYNE UNIVERSITY  
The University of Jan Evangelista Purkyn? (UJEP) was established in Ústí nad Labem in compliance with Act No. 314 of the Czech National Assembly, issued on 9th July 1991.The formal inauguration ceremony was held on 28th September 1991. The university bears the name of Jan Evangelista Purkyn? (17th December 1787 - 27th August 1869) , the well-known North Bohemian and scientist. The university continues to develop his creative work and heritage in the spheres of science, education, and social and cultural life. His versatile and high-minded relationship to his North Bohemian home, his country and all other nations was particularly inspiring

UNIVERSITY OF HRADEC KRALOVE  
The University of Hradec Králové (UHK) is a state-funded institution with a long tradition of education and academic scholarship. At present UHK consists of three faculties – The Faculty of Education (PdF), The Faculty of Informatics nad Management (FIM) and The Faculty of Humanities (FH). The Faculty of Informatics and Management educates university-qualified professionals for a broad range of opportunities in the private and state sectors. Students can choose one of five specializations in a Bachelor’s degree programme and after graduation they can continue studying in the two-year Master’s degree programme which can be undertaken directly at the Faculty, at other colleges in the Czech Republic, or abroad. The Faculty also provides a five-year Master’s degree programme in Information Management.

UNIVERSITY OF VETERINARY AND PHARMACEUTICAL SCIENCES BRNO  
Incorporation of veterinary medicine into the field of agriculture took its legislative form in the government regulation n. 30 of July 8 1952. Based on this, the school became one of the faculties of the University of Agriculture in Brno. This degradation of the whole discipline took place in a time of general downfall of traditional citizen and academic values, traditions and customs in the field of autonomy, degrees awarding procedure and study programme organisation. The cancellation of dissertation works substantially weakened the motivation to autonomous scientific work of the students that was so far the basis of the co-ordinated research activities of many departments. In 1953, the veterinary medicine study programme was prolonged to 11 semesters and in 1961, non-resident study programme was introduced. In this period, there were the following chairs and centres: Chair of Tropical and Public Veterinary Medicine Chair of Physical Training 1952 Chair of Medical Chemistry, Physics and Toxicology Chair of Morphology Chair of Physiology of Domestic Animals Chair of General Biology, Zoology and Basics of Genetics Chair of Parasitology and Invasion Diseases Chair of Pathological Morphology and Histology Chair of Pathological Physiology Chair of Microbiology and Immunology Chair of Zoo-hygiene Chair of Pharmacology Chair of Nutrition, Dietetics and Grazing Chair of Animal breeding Chair of Food Hygiene and Technology Chair of Surgery, Orthopaedics and Radiology Chair of Internal Diseases of Equine and Small Animals Clinic of Internal Diseases of Ruminants and Swine Chair of Infectious Diseases Chair of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Department of Continuous Education Workshop for the History of veterinary medicine 1964 Scientific Centre for Electronic Microscopy 1967 Scientific Centre of Radioisotope Use 1965

ACADEMY OF PERFORMING ARTS PRAHA  
The Academy of Performing Arts (AMU) is a university level school of music, dance, drama, film, TV and multi-media studies. It was founded by the Presidential Decree of October 27, 1945. A year later, in the winter semester of 1946, it was opened for students. Several prominent artists and writers, namely Jind?ich Honzl, Ji?í Frejka, František Troster and others, had conceived the idea of the school itself during World War II. Professors of the older Prague Conservatory also supported the idea of transforming the former maestro school into a higher school at university level. Writers, artists and other film creators with practical experience in the film industry (namely Jaroslav Bou?ek, Karel Plicka, Otakar Vávra, Ivan Olbracht, Vít?zslav Nezval, A. M. Brousil and others) watched over the school's future curriculum, trying to make it responsive to new trends in post-war film development. Later the Film studio and the theatre Disk, which belonged to the Faculty of Theatre, were added. The theatre Disk is also used by the Opera Studio of the Faculty of Music. When TV came into being, the Faculty of Film began to serve its needs by offering study programmes for TV specialists.

UNIVERSITY OF DEFENCE BRNO  
University Act the University of Defence is a university-type school. It was built as of 1 September 2004 to continue utilising the pedagogical and physical potential of the three former military colleges – Brno Military Academy, Military University of the Ground Forces (Vyskov) and Purkyne Military Academy (Hradec Kralove). University of Defence (UoD) primary mission is propagation of literacy, development of thinking and independent scientific research in the issues vital for Czech Republic security or accomplishment of its Alliance obligations. UoD scope of work is defined with focuses of education, formation and training of military professionals as required by the Army of the Czech Republic (ACR) and research projects in favour of the Ministry of Defence (MoD) department.

ACADEMY OF FINE ARTS PRAHA  
The idea of establishing an art academy in Prague first emerged during the High Baroque when, in 1709 – 11, a group of Prague’s artists strove in vain to start the school. It was, however, not until the end of the century when, under the prevailing atmosphere of enlightened support of art and education in 1796 that the Society of Patriotic Friends of Art was constituted. They first founded the Picture Gallery with the School of Copyists (from which The National Gallery developed later on), and shortly thereafter The Drawing Academy. This institution was established by Imperial Decree, issued on the 10th of September 1799. It then started its activities in 1800, making it the oldest art school in the Czech lands. Soon after, the School of Landscape Painting and The Printmaking Workshop were added, extending the scope of instruction at the Academy. During the second half of the century, lectures in humanities and, temporarily, even training in architecture, enriched the course of studies on offer. A crucial reform of the Academy was undertaken thanks to Julius Ma?ák who enlarged the teaching staff with personalities such as Vojt?ch Hynais and Václav Brožík, established the School of Sculpture run by Josef Myslbek, and finally, in 1896, achieved the nationalization of the Academy. In 1910, The School of Printmaking of Max Švabinský and The School of Architecture of Jan Kot?ra further enriched the range of educational possibilities. It was then, after years of provisional arrangements, that the Academy finally found its permanent home in a brand new building on Letná. It was built from 1897 – 1903 based on the design of architect Jaroslav Roštlapil. A complete reconstruction was carried out in 1998. The School of Architecture building was then erected from 1922 – 24, in close proximity to the main Academy building, using plans by Jan Kot?ra and Josef Go?ár. By 1892, and permanently since 1945, the Academy obtained for its purposes the premises called the Modern Gallery, built by architect Antonín Wiehl under the framework of the Jubilee Exhibition of 1891. The Academy was the first in Czechoslovakia to be granted accreditation as an Institution of the Higher Education in 1926. In 1945, Bohuslav Slanský founded the School of Restoration of Painted Artworks within the Academy.

FACULTY OF MILITARY HEALTH SCIENCES UNIVERSITY OF THE DEFENCE  
The Purkyn? Military Medical Academy has been a long-term educational and scientific centre of the Czech Army Medical Service. There has been a very long history of systematic education of military medical personnel in our country. Its beginnings lie, as in many European countries, in the 18th century. Large, permanent armies were being built and the military health service became a normal part of these armies. In 1776 the War Council of the Vienna Court issued an administrative order which definitely prohibited the employment of field surgeons in the armed forces who had not studied anatomy and who had not had their knowledge officially examined. This can be considered the beginning of organized education of military medical personnel in our country. Six-month courses were organized for field surgeons at the Garrison Hospital in Gumpendorf near Vienna. The fundamental milestone in the “Austrian“ stage was, however, in 1785 with the establishment of the Military Medical (Surgical) Academy named the Josephinum after its founder the enlightened monarch and father of many political and social reforms, Emperor Joseph II. He saw the mission of the school as fulfilling these tasks: education of qualified military surgeons (physicians) creation of a learned society for research in medical science creation of a permanent field sanitary commision for solving questions concerning combat casualty care.

ACADEMY OF ARTS ARCHITECTURE AND DESIGN PRAGUE  
VISUAL ARTS is a follow-up MA programme that combines practical studio-based seminars and workshops with theoretical lectures on art theory and history ?Outline of Subjects, Seminars, Lectures and Workshop. It is designed for BA or MA degree holders from universities and colleges abroad, irrespective of country. It aims at providing foreign students with good education in the chosen discipline in order to prepare them for individual or team specialist profession all over the world. After two years of studies, students are required to submit a diploma work consisting of a thesis and a diploma project defense ?Final State Examination. Successful programme graduates obtain an internationally acknowledged academic degree MgA. together with Diploma Supplement containing information about subjects taken at the university.

Prague College  
Prague College programs combine the best in general post-secondary education with British and Czech qualifications. You get a diploma with worldwide recognition — an assurance of quality — and a chance to study Business, Computing or Design in English. A Prague College diploma is valued by employers and universities all over Europe — giving you the edge you need to succeed in life, study and career.





























UNIVERSITIES CZECH REPUBLIC