SOFIA UNIVERSITY SAINT KLIMENT OHRIDSKI
University of Sofia or Sofia University (Bulgarian: Sofiyski universitet „Sv. Kliment Ohridski“) is the oldest and most significant modern higher education institution in Bulgaria, founded on 1 October 1888. The university's edifice was constructed between 1924 and 1934 with the financial support of the brothers Evlogi Georgiev and Hristo Georgiev, whose sculptures are now featured on its façade, and has an area of 18,624 m² and a total of 324 premises. Sofia University has 16 faculties and three departments, where 14,000 students receive their education. In addition, it also disposes of a university library, a university press, a computer centre, a sports centre and several other structures. The current rector is Ivan Ilchev.
UNIVERSITY OF ROUSSE
The University of Rousse, named after Angel Kanchev, is situated in a city with a nineteen- century history, a place, where alongside the rich architectural, industrial and cultural heritage there also live the enterprising national spirit and the deeply rooted European influences. Our university is the successor of the first national higher technical school outside the capital of Bulgaria, established in 1954. As a result of its long traditions and the support of the European Union through the TEMPUS programme, all technical courses have been updated and diversified. Also, a wide spectrum of new courses has been introduced in the fields of technology, the humanities, management and economics. More than 6 000 students are taught in
NEW BULGARIAN UNIVERSITY
In July 1989 some university teachers and research-workers established the Society for New Bulgarian University. The aim of the Society was to work for reforms in the Bulgarian university. On 18th September 1991 the Society obtained university status from the Great National Assembly under the name of the New Bulgarian University (SG, ? 80/1991). The first period of NBU development - 1991-1993 was related to the establishment of the institutional framework of the university and to its identification in the public domain. On 17th October 1991 the General meeting of the Society formed, out of its members, the Interim Board of Trustees of NBU. Prof. Bogdan Bogdanov was elected Chair and provisionally exercising the functions of the Rector. The Interim Board of Trustees developed the general directions for development of the university and specified its program for action; established the university structures, approved their compositions and internal regulations. In 1991/1992 were established two main units, functioning as schools: the Free School and Correspondent School (Radio-university). They provided courses, qualification programs and distance learning. At the Free School were established the departments – the research structures of the university
AMERICAN UNIVERSITY IN BULGARIA
Visitors to Blagoevgrad often call it a student-friendly city. With its clean quiet surroundings, walking plaza, shops, and restaurants, it is small enough for students to find anything they need within a few minutes. At the same time, the dynamic environment of outdoor cafes, movie theaters, and recreational facilities makes it possible for students to have a balanced life with both hard work and fun. As a closely-knit community, professors have an open-door policy and staff is always helpful. The Mission of the American University in Bulgaria is to educate future leaders committed to serving the needs of the region by promoting the values of an open, democratic society
TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY OF SOFIA
Half a century ago, by Decree No.237 (State Gazette Iss. 248/ 24.10.1945) of the National Assembly of Bulgaria, the State Polytechnic was founded having a Faculty of Mechanical Engineering with 4 divisions: mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, industrial chemistry and mining and geology. In 1953 Decree No. 231/10.06.1953 regulated the formation of four higher institutes of learning on the basis of the former State Polytechnic. One of these was the Institute of Mechanical and Electrical engineering with two Faculties: that of Mechanical Engineering and of Electrical engineering. In 1956 the Institute of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering - Sofia was renamed into the Higher Institute of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. In 1995 the 37th National Assembly renamed the Higher Institute of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering into the Technical University of Sofia.
BOURGAS FREE UNIVERSITY
It is the mission of Burgas Free University to be a flexible, enterprising and socially responsible institution, which provides training of undergraduates and graduates with skills for quick professional realization and career in the dynamic and globalizing environment of today. BFU provides education devoted to the national prosperity and oriented towards the European values. The main aims of the activities at BFU are as follows: To train highly-qualified and motivated specialists capable of working towards the development and improvement of society and of their own prosperity. To train socialized, communicative specialists, ready to constantly qualify and improve themselves. To inspire and stimulate the students for high achievements, social development and life-long learning. To provide scientific and professional environment, which supports contribution, entrepreneurship and leadership. To incorporate, protect and support the contemporary academic community, its scientific and applied research and research teams. To achieve scientific results of public importance, to promote their application into training and practice. To contribute to the intellectual and spiritual development of personality and society, to maintain and enrich the national and human values. For achieving the main aims of the mission BFU has developed several main priorities: To provide specialities of high and sustainable demand being ahead of the trends in the labour market. To orient education towards the requirements of practice through developing relations with business, professional organizations, non-governmental and state institutions. To guarantee the students’ interests by providing opportunities for selection, representativeness, mobility and contribution. To develop and improve its activity by creating a rational system for quality measuring and control. To provide a socially acceptable price of education and apply methods for effective human resources management. To comply the educational process with the European values and standards through integration into various academic institutions for exchange of experience and development of joint projects. To direct the research activities to issues of significant practice for the public by developing a competitive environment of stimulation and funding. To maintain an optimal level of academic staff by following the institutional criteria for selection, attestation and professional development. To establish high standards for work and communication by providing modern material and technological environment
UNIVERSITY OF NATIONAL AND WORLD ECONOMY
University of National and World Economy (UNWE) is one of the biggest and oldest higher educational institutions of economics in the Republic of Bulgaria and South Eastern Europe with a history of over 80 years. UNWE originated from the Free University of Political and Economic Sciences (FUPES), founded with Ordinance N 2155/05.07.1920 of the Minister of Public Education. FUPES was transformed into the State Higher Education School of Finance and Administrative Sciences (SHESFA) with a legislative act of 1940 (State Gazette issue 126 dated 7.06.1940) and in 1947 SHESFA was transformed into a Faculty of Economic and Social Sciences at Sofia University. The autonomy of the higher school was regained with Decree N 26 (the "Izvestia", issue. 10 dated 1.02.1952) under the name Higher Institute of Economics (HIE). In 1953 it was named Karl Marx with Decree N 89 (the "Izvestia", issue 23 date 20.03.1953). On 27.04.1990 the Academic Board (AB) passed a resolution transforming Karl Marx Higher Institute of Economics into University of National and World Economy. Officially this was done with an act of the National Assembly of the Republic of Bulgaria on the establishment and transformation of higher educational institutions (State Gazette issue 68 date 26 July 1995).
UNIVERSITY OF CHEMICAL TECHNOLOGY AND METALLURGY SOFIA
The University of Chemical Technology and Metallurgy (UCTM) is located in Sofia, the capital of Republic of Bulgaria. The University was established as a Department of the State Polytechnic in Sofia in 1945. It became an independent higher technological institution named Institute of Chemical Technology in 1953 with two Faculties: Chemical Engineering and Metallurgy with Professor Boris Zagorchev as its first Rector. In 1963 by a Decree of the Council of Ministers it was renamed into Higher Institute of Chemical Technology and in 1995 the National Assembly of the Republic of Bulgaria renamed it to the University of Chemical Technology and Metallurgy. In 1998 The University was accredited by the National Agency of Evaluation and Accreditation to award Bachelor of Science, Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degrees in chemical technologies, biotechnology, chemical engineering, metallurgy, materials science, engineering ecology and environmental protection, automatic and information technologies, industrial management.
TSENOV ACADEMY OF ECONOMICS
Tsenov Academy of Economics is a leading educational, scientific and cultural institution in the Republic of Bulgaria. The structure of the Academy includes four Faculties, with their related Departments, a Department of Social Sciences, Academic Centres and Offices, School of Economics and Management in Lovech, College of Economics and Management, Institute for Scientific Research, Academic Library, and Students' campus. The Academy has a competent academic staff of over 320 highly qualified professors, associate professors, assistant-professors and research workers training over 10 000 Bulgarian and foreign full-time, part-time and extramural courses' students. The Academy of Economics takes part in Programmes of the European Union in collaboration with European Universities, Projects of International Funds for Scientific Research, Inter-university student training and multinational Projects for higher education.
SOUTH-WEST UNIVERSITY NEOFIT RILSKI
The University was established as a subsidiary of the Sofia University "St. Kliment Ohridski" with a order of the Council of Ministers No 223 from 09.08.1975. With a Decree No 2296 from the 4th of August 1983 of the Council of Ministers it is separated as an independent Higher Pedagogical Institute, and with a decision of the National Assembly published in the Official State Gazette issue 68 from the 1st of August 1995 it promulgated as an independent State University with its own accreditation. The Southwestern University is a center of a rich educational and scientific activity, one of the most authoritative spiritual fireplaces outside the capital. There are 10 500 Bulgarian and foreign students at the University, which study in more than 40 majors. A special authority have the functioning International University Seminar for Balkan Research and Specialization, the Center for Foreign Languages and Literature, Center for International cooperation and integration, Center for Distance Education, the University Publishing House and other centers and units within the framework of the University.
UNIVERSITY OF PLOVDIV
The University of Plovdiv is built on the foundation laid by the Higher Teacher-Training Institute of Natural and Mathematical Sciences, which opened in July 1961. The Institute was promoted to university status by government decree on 12 January 1972, when it took its present name “Paisiy Hilendarski” Plovdiv University. In 1973, it became the first higher institution in Plovdiv to offer language and literature studies, offering the B.A. degreee in Bulgarian Language and Literature and Russian Language and Literature. Soon after, a program in Slavonic Languages and Literature (with Specialization in Czech Language and Literature) was added. A degree in Education was offered for the first time in 1984, Law degree programs were introduced in 1992, and Economics degree programs were launched in 1994. Today the University of Plovdiv is a true university by international standarts, since it provi des training to students in the four major fields of higher education: natural sciences, humanities, social sciences, and economics. “ Paisiy Hilendarski” Plovdiv University has been institutionally accredited by National Certification and Accreditation Board (Protocol No. 1 of 15 February 2001). Over 7,500 full-time and 5,000 part-time students are enrolled in the programs and courses by the university’s eight faculties. The full-time teaching staff consists of 34 Full Professors, 167 Associate Professors and 360 Assistant Professors.
Agricultural University of Plovdiv
THE AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY – PLOVDIV has its rich history and old traditions in training highly qualified specialists. Over 19000 Bulgarian and more than 1500 foreign students have graduated from it. Prominent scientists and researchers who have left remarkable contributions in the national and international agricultural science had cast in their lot with the Agricultural University. Nowadays the teaching staff put forth their efforts and talent. Respecting the traditions, the experience gained and the results achieved, we are ambitious to respond to the challenges of present times, to contribute to the accession to the European structures and to defend our public mission. For that purpose we greatly rely on the authority gained and confirmed by the Agricultural University, to its notable research and teaching staff, to the experience and the potential, to the innovative thinking.At present when the reform is under way for all the European higher educational institutions, a major problem is shaping their own future – compatible and efficient, but also diverse and flexible within the common European educational area.
Medical University of Sofia
Medical University of Sofia is the oldest institution for higher medical education in Bulgaria. His Majesty King Ferdinand founded it by a decree at 1917 as a Medical Faculty of Sofia University. Special merits of it’s foundation and worthy to be remembered are Dr. M.Russev, Dr. St. Vatev and Dr. P. Orahovatz who prepared Alexandrovska hospital’s departments for the needs of future clinics and organized training of teaching stuff. One of the first professors by medicine in Bulgaria are Prof. V. Mollov, Prof. P. Stojanov, Prof. St. Kirkovitch, Prof. Iv. Kiprov (first Dean), Prof. R.H. Kann, Prof. T. Petrov, Prof. Pashev, Prof. At. Teodorov etc. In 1942 a Dentistry department opened the doors in Medical faculty and its founders were Ass. prof. Sl. Davidov, ?ss. prof. G. Stiljanov and Prof. Al. Stanishev. In 1950 Medical Faculty was set apart from Sofia University and became independent structure as Medical Academy with two faculties - medicine and dentistry. Later on, at 1951 a Pharmaceutical faculty was associated. Next decades several administrative transformations took places - Higher Medical Institute (1954-1972), Medical Academy (1972-1990) and again Higher Medical Institute. Since 21 of May 1995 according to the decision taken by the National Assembly, the Higher Medical Institute became a Medical University. Today Medical University has leading positions as educational, scientific and health care institution in Bulgaria and it’s level corresponds to the world medical standards. High level of theoretical and practical training of students, post-graduate students and specialists is organized according to the requirements of government standards of education and health care politics but with a sufficient academic independence.
Trakia University Stara Zagora
Trakia University – Stara Zagora is an autonomous state institution. It was established in 1995 by Decree of the 37 th National Parliament. The following educational units are in the structure of the university: Faculty of Agriculture with training experimental base Faculty of Veterinary Medicine with clinics Faculty of Medicine Faculty of Pedagogy Medical College – Stara Zagora Medical College - Haskovo Medical College - Sliven Technical College - Yambol Bulgarian-German Agricultural College – Stara Zagora Department for information in-service teacher training University hospital The University organizes training on programs with four educational and qualification degrees - Specialist, Bachelor, Master and PhD, as well as on programs for qualification and post-graduate training in the system of life-long education. Trakia University – Stara Zagora has legitimate institutional accreditation by resolution of the National Assessment and Accreditation Agency at the Council of Ministers. Graduate students receive a diploma stamped with the state coat of arms of the Republic of Bulgaria .
University of Economics Varna
The idea to open a Higher School of Commerce (HSC) in Varna arose in 1911, and the foundations of the present-day building of the University were laid. The construction was financially supported by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry - Varna and the state, which provided considerable funds. In 1914, during the XXIst session of Varna Chamber of Commerce and Industry there was passed the decision to open a Higher School of Commerce. The funds needed to lay the foundations of the HSC were approved, however, because of the impending World War I the decision was not fully carried out. After the War, the first post-war session of the Chamber was held in 1920. On 14 May 1920 there was held XXVth session of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry, during which the official decision to open the HSC was taken. There was created a Governing body of the school - the Supreme School Board. Mr Tsani Kalyandzhiev was unanimously elected Rector of the School. He held that post till 1933. The organizers of the HSC are well aware of its twofold purpose of being both an educational and research institution. They expect the school of higher education to undertake broad research and theoretical work aimed at studying the Bulgarian economy, which would reveal the objective laws and development mechanisms and outline the working principles for economic figures.
University of Forestry Sofia
The legal foundation of higher forestry education in Bulgaria was laid on 28th January 1925, when the Academic Council of the Sofia University decided to set up a Department of Forestry at the Agronomy Faculty of the university. That decision was preceded by a long-standing struggle of Bulgarian foresters against the plundering and destruction of forests after the 1878 Liberation from Turkish rule. A lot of opinions and proposals appeared in the specialised newspapers and magazines, as well as in the daily press, regarding both the management of forests and their use and the role of the forest ranger and his or her professional training, especially after the enforcement of Forest Acts from 1883, 1889, 1897, 1904 and 1922. However, only after the graduation of Bulgarian young people from forestry universities abroad (mainly in the Czeck Republic, Germany and France) and their appointment to administrative positions in forest management units, did a truly purposeful and well-founded protection of the Bulgarian forest begin.