UNIVERSITIES BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA
University of Banja Luka
University of Banja Luka (Local: or Univerzitet u Banjoj Luci) is a university located in Banja Luka, Bosnia-Herzegovina. It was founded in 1975 and is organized in 12 faculties.
University of Mostar
University of Mostar (Croatian: Sveu?ilište u Mostaru; Latin: Universitas Studiorum Mostariensis) is the only Croatian language university in Bosnia and Herzegovina at this time. It grew out of "Džemal Bijedi?" University in Mostar which was founded in 1977, but as a Croatian language university it also sees the Franciscan Theological School founded in 1895 and closed in 1945 as a start of higher education in Mostar. The University seal shows the building of the Franciscan Monastery. In the beginning of the academic year 1992/93 the name and the official language were changed to the present University of Mostar. During the academic year of 1994/95 "Džemal Bijedi?" University started work in the east part of Mostar stating Bosnian as the official language. Both universities have claimed to be legal successors of the former university campus, but since it was situated in the west part of Mostar which was Croat-controlled during the Croatian-Bosniak conflict, the campus is now used by the University of Mostar. "Džemal Bijedi?" University now maintains a campus in the east part of Mostar. The higher education reform and the signing of the Bologna declaration have forced both universities to put aside their differences to some extent and work to make themselves competitive on a regional level. As of 2005/2006 University of Mostar had around 12.500 students enrolled at nine faculties and one nursing college.
University of Sarajevo
The University of Sarajevo descends from a century long tradition of higher education in Bosnia-Herzegovina and Sarajevo. The institutional beginnings of higher education are identical to the university tradition of Western Europe. In 1531 Gazi Husrev-beg established the Hanikah, a higher school of Souphey philosophy to which an institution for the study of Islamic Sciences was added in 1537. Here the three disciplines of Classical Catholic Universities were nurtured: theology, law and philosophy and the university also comprised a library. By the end of the 19th century, this institution was the largest institution of learning in Bosnia-Herzegovina. From the beginning it was on the same level as the Medresa (Islamic institution of higher education) of Sultan Bajazit in Istanbul, the institution upon which the old Istanbul University is based. In the Austro-Hungarian period or more precisely in 1887, the Sharia Law School began to operate as a five-year-long higher school. The modern history of the Sarajevo University began with the establishment of the first secular institutions of higher education prior to World War II as well as during the war (the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry in 1940, the Medical Faculty in 1944). The Medical Faculty was re-established in 1946, the Faculty of Law, the Teacher Training College were opened and in 1948 the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry was re-established. In 1949 the Engineering Faculty was opened. On the 2nd December that same year with the appointment of the first rector, the University of Sarajevo was established. With the opening of the Faculty of Philosophy (1950) and the Economics Faculty (1952) the first, initial phase of establishment of the Sarajevo University was completed
University of Tuzla
Tuzla University, containing 42 study profiles organizes and realizes teaching-scientific process at undergraduate and postgraduate level of the study at nine faculties containing around 15000 students. 500 teachers and associates employed at the University and 237 teachers and associates as outside collaborators are participating in the teaching-scientific process. In addition to this number, 200 associates are employed at this University doing expert, administration-technical and auxiliary jobs. 28 years of development of university education and science-research institutions preceded forming of the University of Tuzla. During 60s high schools, colleges and institutions for science-research activities have been formed in Tuzla as a result of economic and social needs and determinations of environment on connecting education and economy: Two-year college of mining established in 1958 and Faculty of Technology in 1959 as a first faculty outside the Sarajevo university. Mining School developed into a Faculty of mining in 1960, and the same year Two-year College of education started working. In 1961 in Brcko, Two-year college of Economy and Commerce started with work. Further development of university education in Northeastern Bosnia was dictated by needs and dynamics of economic and social development of the region. In the same rhythm Two-years colleges transformed into faculties, faculties and institutions were founded and new economic fields have been developed. Two-year college of education transformed into Teachers' college in 1969, Two-year college of Economy and Commerce into Faculty of Economy in 1976. School of Electrical Engineering was organized as a separate organizational entity of Sarajevo University in 1972. Turning point in development of university education in the region was the founding of the Faculty of Medicine in 1976. That was the turning point when the area of multi-branching was entered stepping further away from the mostly technical proliferation. Founding of the university had become a necessity; not only to continue the development of the university education but to ensure further cultural and social transformation of one of the most densely populated regions of Bosnia and Herzegovina.