After the Peace Treaty of Moudros had been signed (17/30 October 1918), Greece was assigned by the allies to control of the Smyrna area in order to maintain stability and peace in the wider area. In the socio-political context, Professor Constantine Caratheodory - being a Professor at University of Berlin at the time - proposed the establishment of a new University. While Greece was negotiating the normalisation of its authority over the "Smyrna zone", the internationally known mathematician turned in a "plan for the creation of a new University in Greece", named “Ionian University” on 20 October 1919. While Greece was extending its borders, Hellenism stood as a mediator between the Slavic and Turkish-Arabic world and the Western world.
Agricultural University of Athens
The Agricultural University of Athens (AUA) is an evolution of the Highest College of Agriculture of Athens (H.C.A.A.). The H.C.A.A., as it was originally named, was the culmination of attempts for systematic agricultural education in Greece which go back to the period of the Kapodistrias administration when a Model Farm was founded at Tyrintha in 1829. s
American College of Greece
Founded in 1875 by American Christian missionaries as a primary and secondary school for girls in Smyrna, Asia Minor, the College expanded into higher education in 1885. Events there forced it to close in 1922, and the College reopened in Athens in 1923 at the invitation of Eleftherios Venizelos, the internationally renowned statesman. In 1936 the school was named Orlinda Childs Pierce College in memory of the wife of a benevolent supporter.
American College of Thessaloniki
As the history pages of this website outline, Anatolia is now well into its second century of service to education. Our school evolved from a seminary established near Constantinople in 1840, took the name Anatolia College in 1886, and was relocated to Thessaloniki, Greece in 1924. Today we are four schools in one: an elementary school for 340 children, a high school of 1,300 students offering the Greek gymnasium and lyceum curriculum as well as the International Baccalaureate; a four-year Bachelor of Arts and bachelor of Science program and 1-2 year MBA with 600 students from 20 countries and accreditation by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, the accrediting body for Harvard and MIT. We are proud to have the Bissell Library, inaugurated in 2002 and one of the most sophisticated facilities of its kind in Southeast Europe. A
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
The Aristotle University of Thessaloniki is the largest university in Greece. The University Campus covers some 23 hectares close to the centre of Thessaloniki. It comprises 9 Faculties organized into 39 Schools, as well as 3 independent Schools (a total of 42 Schools). Some educational and administrative facilities are located off campus for practical and operational reasons.
Athens Laboratory of Business Administration (ALBA)
ALBA was founded in 1992, through a joint initiative of the Federation of Greek Industries the leading Employers' Union in Greece, and the Hellenic Management Association ( ???? ); both the preparation for the creation of ALBA and its operations until the end of 1993 were funded by the European Commission and by contributions offered by its Corporate Members. In February 1995, the Athens Chamber of Commerce and Industry ( ???? ) joined the Federation of Greek Industries and the Hellenic Management Association to become the third collective body of Greek businesses under whose auspices ALBA now operates.
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
The metropolitan centre of Northern Greece with a history of 2,300 years. If Athens is the city of classical antiquity and its monuments reflect the spirit of ancient Greece, Thessaloniki resonates the wealth and magnificence of the Byzantine empire. However, its age-old presence goes beyond this dimension. The city that is open to two worlds, the Orient and the Occident, has always been a stopover for the peoples that went through it; Byzantines, Franks, Ottomans, and Jews left their mark on its architecture, its cultural heritage, the histories and traditions of its people, but they also took something from the city ambience with them. Thessaloniki has been a crossroads of ethnicities and religions, whose remnants are reflected on the numerous monuments that are dispersed in the historic centre of the city. s
Athens University of Economics and Business
The Athens University of Economics and Business (AUEB) was originally founded in 1920 under the name of Athens School of Commercial Studies. It was renamed in 1926 as the Athens School of Economics and Business, a name that was retained until 1989 when it assumed its present name, that is the Athens University of Economics and Business. It is the third oldest Higher Education Institution in Greece and the oldest in the general fields of Economics and Business. Up to 1955 the School offered only one degree in the general area of Economics and Commerce. In 1955 it started two separate programmes leading to two separate degrees: one in Economics and the other in Business Administration. In 1984 the School was divided into three Departments, namely the Department of Economics, the Department of Business Administration and the Department of Statistics and Informatics. In 1989, the University expanded in six departments. From 1999 onwards, the University developed even further and nowadays it offers eight (8) undergraduate programmes and twenty one (25) postgraduate programmes.
City University Athens
Founded in the city of Seattle in 1973 as City College, the name of the institution was changed to City University in 1982 by action of its Board of Governors. Influenced in its early organization by the recommendations of the Carnegie Commission Report and the Seattle 2000 Commission, the University was one of the nation's first to address the needs of the working adult. The philosophy of City University is succinctly expressed by the following quotation taken from the 1973 report of the National Commission on Non-Traditional Study:
DEI Bachelor & Master Degrees
DEI Bachelor and Master Degrees is an educational organization that was founded in 1990 and is located in the center of Thessaloniki. Its aim is to provide quality services in the field of private education. It operates in modern facilities with highly qualified academic staff.The academic staff of DEI consists of teachers who have been chosen with the most stringent academic criteria and who are capable of providing the students with high quality knowledge accompanied by the correct teaching approach. All the teachers have postgraduate and/or doctoral awards, either from Greek or British universities, in order to provide students with a high standard of studies equivalent to that available at British Universities. It is the belief of DEI that the quality of its academic staff is the key to the provision of academic role models for the students.
European University, Athens Campus
European University (EU) is one of the world's top business schools recognized for the excellence of its students and faculty. Over the past 30 years, EU has developed a business education that delivers high quality teaching, a competitive learning environment and a network of several campuses in different countries. This broad network encourages students to participate in inter-campus exchanges in the following countries: Spain, Switzerland, Germany, Greece, Malta, UK, Kazakhstan, Syria, Singapore and China. EU offers the traditional programs of Bachelor and Master of Business Administration (BBA & MBA), and also the possibility to specialize in 10 different fields of management education as for example Communication and Public Relations, Information Systems Management, Wealth Management and Finance-Banking & Corporate Finance. The first goal of EU is to bring the American education model to Europe by relating classroom theory to professional skills. The courses are taught in English using the case study method to prevent business theory from remaining abstract and incomprehensible. The second goal of EU is to internationalize its programs by providing a unique environment. An international perspective is guaranteed by the composition of the faculty and student body.
Hellenic Army Academy
1992 Foundation of the HOU: Article 27 of Act 2083/92 1995 International meeting for the HOU – A preparatory committee is constituted.Founding article is modified – Members of Board of Directors are appointed (November 1995) 1996 Detailed compilation of the act by the Board of Directors Government finances the HOUTemporary transfer of small number of teachers to the HOU’s Administrative Services The HOU’s infrastructure projects start at its Headquarters
Hellenic Open University
1992 Foundation of the HOU: Article 27 of Act 2083/92 One of HOU’s pilot programs is completed (Open and Distance Education). First Postgraduate Degree Graduates. Infrastructure and all necessary projects completed (e.g. Academic staff assigned, Confirmation of lecture halls, building infrastructure doubled, electronic system developed for the enrolment of distant applicants). 5 degree level courses, 3 training courses and 9 postgraduate courses are offered to 5000 students. Institute of Management Development - Ohrid
In 1997, in the city of Larissa, (the capital of Central Greece), two people envisioned the creation of an English Business School that would provide its students with the knowledge, skills and qualifications necessary for a promising career in the business sector. The school was named North European Studies. In the past nine years, North European Studies has been developed into a versatile, modern business school, integrating academic rigor with a practical approach to real life business solutions. Additionally, it has developed close training relationships with a number of large corporations, active in fields such as electricity, telecommunications, food processing, paper production and project management. Today, in 2006, a new era has risen for North European Studies that has entered the area of organisational training and certification; its enhanced status is reflected in the new title, that of the Institute of Management Development (I. M. D.)
National Technical University of Athens
The National Technical University (NTUA) is the oldest and most prestigious educational institution of Greece in the field of technology, and has contributed unceasingly to the country's scientific, technical and economic development since its foundation in 1836. It is closely linked with Greece's struggle for independence, democracy and social progress. In Greek, NTUA is called the "Ethnicon Metsovion Polytechnion" which stands for National Metsovion Polytechnic. It was named "Metsovion" to honor the donors and benefactors Nikolaos Stournaris, Eleni Tositsa, Michail Tositsas and Georgios Averof, all from Metsovo, a small town in the region of Epirus, who made substantial donations in the last half of the 19th century.
Technical University of Crete
Most important than arriving at the target place is what you will acquire, learn, smell, feel and see during your journey to the target place. That is what the Technical University of Crete offers to our students. The Technical University of Crete is an Institution of higher education, which gives emphasis on both teaching and research. The six academic departments established after 1984 have set very high scopes. The fifty seven laboratories are very well equipped with high technology infrastructure and well skilled personnel. Concerning the faculty members, most of them had already an international carrier, before coming to Chania.
Technological Education Institute of Epiros
The Technological Institute of Epirus was founded in 1994. It belongs to the technological sector of Higher Education and as such it combines the appropriate theoretical studies with high level practical work, it is engaged mainly in applied technological research and develops technical knowledge and innovations to respective professional fields. Moreover, it puts the emphasis on the education of young executives, who, with their theoretical background and practical training: 1) comprise the link between knowledge and application by developing the applied dimension of science in the respective occupational fields, and 2) transfer, use and promote state –of –the- art technology as well as methods, practices and techniques in the field of applications.
Technological Education Institute of Heraklion
Heraklion is the 5th in size city of Greece. Near the city's area there are settlements from the Neolithic Period. Even though there are just a few findings to prove it, it is believed that the city was the port of the ancient city of Knossos. The Saracens occupied the city on 824 AD and renamed it to "El Khandak" (Fort of the dike), when they dug the big dike around the city. The city was re-occupied by the Byzantine Empire on 961 AD after numerous failed efforts. Two hundred years later the Empire was dismantled by the Crusaders that took over, and Cretan government was given to the Venetians for 1.000 silver coins. During the Venetian occupation arts flourished and "Candia", as the city was named by the Venetians, became the center of literature and arts. Many intellectuals and artists found refuge in Candia after the fall of Constantinople in 1453.
Technological Education Institute of Kalamata
The Technological Educational Institute of Kalamata was established in 1990 and is a public institution of tertiary education. It is the most important and rapidly developing educational and research institution of the Peloponnese. It is located at a pleasant site, 6 kilometers from the city center. The main building complex of 14.000 m2 covers all the main activities of the Institute: lecture theatres, labs and workshops, library, sports and recreational facilities, restaurant, etc. More than 7,000 students study at the TEI of Kalamata and there are 258 permanent and contracted academic staff members. The teacher/student ratio is 1: 27. The original building complex covers an area of 16,000 m2 while the surrounding area of 90,000 m2 includes a farm for research and training purposes, greenhouses, an arboretum, as well as recreational facilities. The new teaching centre will provide state-of-the art lecture theatres, laboratories and classrooms (construction cost: 10,250,000 euros – completion date: late 2008).
Technological Education Institute of Kavala
The main campus of the Technological Educational Institute (T.E.I.) is in Kavala, the second biggest city in Northern Greece after Thessaloniki. A satellite campus of the Institute is in Drama, a nearby city about 35 km away. Kavala, the financial center of Eastern Macedonia and Thrace with export, trade and business links to the Balkan countries, is also one of the the picturesque tourist areas of Greece, with colorful marines, summer resorts, rich valleys and important archeological areas. The city can be reached directly by plain, bus or boat and indirectly (through Drama) by train. Over 20 externally funded research programs leading to journal articles and conference pa-pers and effective technology transfer to local industry. Participation of the faculty in research and applied technology programs of the EU. Hosting and organization of scientific confe-rences and meetings. Funded technical and feasibility studies. Details of the scientific and research activities of the Institute are provided in a special bulletin.
Technological Education Institute of Larissa
The Technological Education Institutes were founded by the law 1404/1983 and evolved out of the (abolished by the same law) national Centers for Technical and Professional Education. All current stipulations and requirements for studies at a TEI are defined by the Presidential Decree no 498/84 and its amendment no 189/89. Technological Education Institutes (TEI's) are self governing Higher Education Institutions. Each TEI is composed of at least two Schools each of which is composed of at least two Departments. Departments are further divided into Subject Groups (or Sections). All administrators (President, Vice President, Directors of Schools and Heads of Departments or Sections) are elected by the members of the academic community of each institution for a certain tenure. The basic academic unit is a Department which issues the appropriate degree on successful fulfillment of study requirements. TEI graduates have well prescribed professional rights, established by appropriate legislation. Enrollment for studies at a TEI is regulated by the same rules that apply to all higher education institutes in Greece. For a complete list of TEI's in Greece (with links to their web pages) you can follow the GUNet(Greek Universities Network)
Technological Education Institute of Mesologgi
T hrough the International Relations Office, the Technological Education Institute of Messolonghi participates in European Programmes such as Socrates/Erasmus, Leonardo da Vinci and aims at expanding the international contacts of the institute. The International Relations Office is responsible for the promotion, coordination and implementation of these programmes. he Research Committee is a collective, elected body of the Institute legally charged with the administration and management of European Union programmes and other financial sources with the aim of supporting research in the Institute...
Technological Education Institute of Patras
The Technological Educational Institute (T.E.I.) of Patras was established in 1972 as a Vocational Technical Education Centre (K.A.T.E.). In 1983, it became an independent and self-governed institute and belongs to the Greek Higher Education system along with the other thirteen T.E.I. - and the Universities of Greece. T.E.I. orientation is towards applied research and technology and its main concern, the assimilation and application of scientific knowledge whereas the universities give emphasis to theoretical background and basic research. The T.E.I. of Patras is a State Institute. It is a self-governed body, subject to public law and financed from public funds.
Technological Education Institute of Serres
The T.E.I. of Serres, which was integrated in Higher Education by law 2916-2001, is a new ,dynamic and rapidly developing Institution consisting of two Faculties, six Departments and more than 10000 students. The T.E.I. of Serres meets modern requirements for the provision of high quality educational standards, the encouragement of applied and technological research and the contribution to the creation of responsible citizens able to contribute as agents who will apply high quality levels to the economic, social and cultural development of the country. It, thus, promotes the employment of scientifically distinguished Professors, the cooperation with educational and research Institutions of our country and with those abroad, the connection between education and production and the job market, the further education of its graduates and the creation of post-graduate studies departments in conjunction with Universities.
University of Ioannina
In 1970 the University of Ioannina, an independent Higher Education Institution was founded in Ioannina, which grew rapidly in the coming years. Today, the University of Ioannina includes 17 academic Departments which altogether number 13,523 undergraduate students. A number of organised postgraduate study programmes are on offer that combine taught and research elements both at Master's and Doctoral level. Approximately 1,300 students are involved in full-time study mode progressing to a Master's degree, while 2,217 students are currently pursuing their studies at Doctoral level.
University of Macedonia
The Graduate School of Industrial Studies was established in 1948 by decree No 800/1948 under the surveillance of the Ministry of Education. In 1958 it was renamed to "Graduate School of Industrial Studies in Thessaloniki and became equivalent with all the other Universities in Greece. During that period, the curriculum changed from a three-year program to a four-year program. From the Academic year 1971/1972 the Graduate School of Industrial Studies had two departments the Department of Economics and the Department of Business Administration. In 1990 the Graduate School of Industrial Studies in Thessaloniki was renamed to University of Macedonia Economic and Social Sciences and at the same time three new departments were established which were: The Department of International European Economic and Political Science The Department of Accounting and Finance The Department of Applied Informatics
University of Patras
History The University of Patras was founded in the city of Patras in 11th of November in1964 as a self-administered academic institution under the supervision of the Greek Government. It was established primarily with the intention to concentrate on science, technology, economics, business administration and social sciences.
University of Peloponnese
The University of Peloponnese was founded with the Presidential Decree 13/2000. Its seat is Tripolis and is being developed at the level of complete Faculties in the five capitals of the Prefectures of the Region of Peloponnese. The University was inaugurated in the 20th of September of 2002 with the beginning of operation of the Department of Computer Science and Technology and the Department of Telecommunication Science and Technology of the School of Science and Technology. The purpose of the establishment and operation of the University of Peloponnese is its creative contribution to the development of the tertiary education in Greece, with high quality standards in the study programme, research and teaching, which will meet the demands of a modern University of national, European and international impact. The University of Peloponnese refers to Greece and the Greeks all over the world with the ambition to create strong ties with the Greek colonies and become a centre of cooperation and mental creativity for all Greeks
University of Piraeus
The University of Piraeus was founded in 1938 under the title of the “School for Industrial Studies”, by the Industrialists and Tradesmen Association. In 1945 it was renamed to “Higher School for Industrial Studies” and its aim was defined to be the systematic, theoretical and practical training of managerial executives. In 1958, the “Higher School for Industrial Studies» was again renamed to “Graduate School of Industrial Studies”, with its headquarters in Piraeus. Starting from 1966, the University operated in the form of a public legal entity. In 1989, the “Graduate School of Industrial Studies” was renamed to University of Piraeus. Today, the following seven Depart-ments are run by the University of Piraeus: Economics Business Administration Statistics and Insurance Science Financial Management and Banking Industrial Management Maritime Studies Informatics Technology Teachers Education (starting in 1999 – 2000)
University of Thessaly
The University of Thessaly was founded (along with the Aegean University and the Ionian University) in 1984 though presidential decision 83/1984, which was modified in 1985 through presidential decision 302/1985. The seat of the University is the town of Volos. According to the founding presidential decision the University of Thessaly included the following Departments: Department of Agriculture, Crop, and Animal Production Department of Physical Education and Sport Science Department of Primary School Education Department of Nursery School Education Department of Planning and Rural Development
Yorker International University, Athens
The Yorker International University, are at the very forefront of education, and are proud of our distance learning programs, we believe that learning is a process, not a place, it is something you do, not somewhere you go. Our students work as self- directed learners, with constant and individual tutoring from a faculty mentor, walking together along the path to graduation, both benefit from the continuity of that one- to- one educational partnership. With The Yorker International University, students have access to the full ranks of our faculty